Quarantine Series: 3 Tips On Returning Back To "Normal Life"

Welcome to another blog in the "quarantine series" I decided to do for the next few months since we are all on lock down and do not know what is going on!

8

If you read my other blogs, you know my story. I did an eleven-month mission trip to eleven different countries. I lived in Africa for four of the months. I partnered with ministries based out of refugee settlements and ministries that were 3 hours away from the nearest city or store. My months in Africa felt a lot like this, but luckily I have a bed and a shower now.

When I was going into this quarantine, I knew exactly what I had to do to stay sane. I want to share what I did and what I am doing now to see if it will help you get out of the social distancing blues. I have seen so many people say they are just going to sit around, relax, and catch up on TV. Well, I did that in Africa (yes we had Netflix) and it hurt me for the worst. I am getting vulnerable but I experienced another level of sadness and loneliness I have never felt before.

I think this is a beautiful time to get stuff done, accomplish some goals, and come out better than you were before. Hopefully, my story and tips will help you!

After returning home from a year abroad, finding out what was "normal" was very difficult for me. This transition will be hard, it just comes with the territory. Here is some advice on finding out how to return back to "normal" life in the easiest way possible.

Do not fully jump back in

This means, do not jump back into your once normal routine. Give yourself some time to add back in regular activities. You will be very overwhelmed if you keep going on as nothing happened. Let your body re-wake up a little bit.

Allow others to heal

Do not expect others to be fully there for you like they usually are. We are going through a pandemic people! Your friends and family will be there for you and your transition but just do not forget that they are going through the same thing. Emotions are all over the place and it is justified. Cut everyone in your life some slack.

Acknowledge your feelings + breathe

What you are feeling is beyond normal, do not be mad at it. Acknowledge it, heal from it, or even seek help for it. No one will judge you for reaching out for help and support. Give yourself time to breathe and adjust back to normal. There is truly no rush.