An Attempt At Putting The Formation Tour Into Words

#FLAWLESS

28
beyonce.com

Let me start by saying, I am an experienced concert-goer and have NEVER seen anything like what I saw at the last stop of the Formation Tour at MetLife Stadium last Friday night.

No one can compare to Beyoncé.

She has been in the music industry for over twenty-five years and has countless hits. As a fan, her tour defied all expectations. Even for someone who doesn’t know a single song, which is pretty much impossible, I think you should consider buying tickets to Beyoncé’s next tour. You will appreciate music so much more and quickly become a fan.

Beyoncé isn’t your average singer. Her show felt like watching a spectacular Super Bowl performance…and this was the entirety of the two-hour show. It’s how Beyoncé is. She wasn’t just hanging out, singing, breaking out into a dance here and there.

No, it was full blown choreography, outstanding vocals, where at times I wondered if she was even breathing.

Her main stage was L-shaped with a huge rectangular screen placed center stage that would split in half and rotate. It displayed quality Beyoncé footage and different visuals that were a big help for us concert-goers at the upper levels.

As a part of her crew, she has a v-shaped dance team behind her for many songs. Basically, a female army that I wish I was a part of. She started the show with “Formation” her first single from her newest album "Lemonade". I noticed that a lot of artists tend to end their concert with their top singles. Not Beyoncé. She opened the show with “Formation” and sang “Sorry” another single, immediately following. I thought this was odd until I remembered that Beyoncé’s tracklist is never-ending. She can order her songs however she wants since it’s kind of hard for her to run out of songs to sing.

From the second song “Sorry,” Beyoncé had already brought out a guest: Serena Williams. The celebrity appearances just seemed to increase from that point on. Her husband, Jay-Z made an appearance in “Drunk In Love” where he rose from the stage on Beyoncé’s throne and started rapping his verse.

As if Jay-Z weren’t enough, she brought out Kendrick Lamar in “Freedom” where they both stomped and danced in the water together.

Just from the tour tracklist, I could tell that this concert was going to be different than any artist I had ever seen before. Who sings their newest singles in the beginning? Where is she going to go from there? She took us back and forth in time with “Crazy In Love,” “Bootylicious” and “Survivor”. She didn’t just sing "Lemonade" and a few singles from the past. She sang snippets where songs would perfectly transition into a past song like “Hold Up” into “Countdown.” It was a perfect mixture of old and new where the crowd was able to hear an assortment of Beyoncé discography.

Besides the fabulously choreographed numbers, she sang a few less popular songs like “1+1” from the album, "4," where you could feel the emotion in her voice. She sang “Love On Top” acapella.

The night ended perfectly. I wanted to hear Beyoncé sing “Halo” live and that’s exactly how she closed the show with fireworks.

It all made sense why people paid hundreds of dollars to get as close to this artist as possible. Immediately following the show, I thought: I want to relive this night…I want to see it again. While also questioning why it took me so long to buy Beyoncé tickets in the first place.