Keep Going, Even When It Hurts

Keep Going, Even When It Hurts

"Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength" -Theodore Roosevelt

211
Keep Going, Even When It Hurts

We go through life wanting everything now. As I have been becoming more involved with boxing there are more life lessons that I have taken out of it than just how to punch someone. Boxing isn't about having the most powerful punch to knock someone out, or being as punching someone as fast as you can. It's about endurance. How long you can stay in the fight without getting tired, so you can keep pushing through. This is the same for life. As I have been working non stop these past few weeks, and still have a few to go, I have been getting worn out. Sure, back at college I was in a mode of go go go, but going out into the workforce for the summer is something completely different. While working 8 hours a day on second shift, and then going in every weekend for 6 and sometimes 12 hour days, I get burned out. But this is where the key to almost everything comes into play. Endurance. You have to be able to keep punching the bag even when it burns. When you feel like you can't go on no more, you have to keep going.

You can't forget what is important and your end goal for the reason you are pushing through the pain. Make a plan of what you need to do to accomplish your goal and stick to it. Although sometimes it can be easy getting trapped inside of this endless cycle of the mundane day by day activities that you are trying to hurdle over. Sometimes you need to take time for yourself. Hang out with friends or even when you need it. Sleep. You need to be able to still have fun in your life even when you don't have time for anything other than going to work, doing stuff around the house and going to sleep. This can be difficult though if you don't have a normal work schedule. If you work 2nd shift like me you know how limited your time is. Some days I am so tired from the previous days that I don't wake up until 11 in the morning and then half my day to myself is gone.

I have taken up different hobbies that allow me to still feel joy even though my days are filled with the mundane. I've been trying to learn guitar, and when I get home at midnight I steal my brother's guitar and fiddle with a few chords. I still make it to the gym every other day, and boxing on my days off from the gym. So whatever you do to try and fill the void, make it something worthwhile. Give it meaning to you, but at the end of the day remember why you set out on your path, to begin with. Remember that when everything seems to not be going the way It's "supposed" to, to keep punching the bag. Even when it starts to hurt.