The Punk Rock Experience

The Punk Rock Experience

Although it's a bit rough around the edges, these concerts are the best.

138
The Punk Rock Experience
Alexa Chihos

Now, I have been to my fair share of Warped Tours, but on November 12, 2017 I finally got to see one of my favorite bands at the Paradise Rock Club in Boston, Massachusetts on their own headlining tour, and it was insane. First, I encourage anyone above the age of 17 to go see their favorite punk rock band live at a small venue. I say above the age of 17 because I don't think I would be able to handle this concert if I was any younger and I found it quite funny that some parents accompanied their children because I think the concert was a bit too much for them. Allow me to explain...

My friend Lexi and I were second row, right against the barrier, eager for the concert to begin. I think Lexi may have been a bit more excited than I was because she wasn't into this kind of music and is always eager to experience new things. And everything was going well, until the first opening band came on. The energy that the first act gave was very intense. Now you're probably thinking, "Well, it IS a rock concert, what were you expecting?" Not this. The crowd was too big for its own good. Everyone was being pulled every which way and the lead singer was encouraging it! At one point I was pushed back but the girl in front of me stepped on my foot, holding my leg in place. At which the crowd pushed to the left, causing a girl to almost trip over my stationary leg, hurting my permanently damaged knee. And even after they got off, the crowd didn't budge. We all stayed "sardined" together against the barrier, and it was hot. Then, the second opening act came on: Movements. And the crowd did not get any easier. That's when the real moshing began at every possible corner of the venue. It was so bad that I actually don't have any videos of the first hour of the concert because I couldn't reach my pocket to hold my phone safely. The crowd surfing was so out of control that the body guards were having a hard time keeping up with the teenage angst bodies being flung at them. And then it got worse. Not only was my asthma starting to flare up, but someone's feet came down right on mine and Lexi's head during a song. I ducked down and watched Lexi's glasses get knocked from her head (which was kind of comical).

So, we decided to retreat to a safe distance for the remainder of the second act, which I am grateful for. If I had not gone back a few rows, I would not have found this band, Movements, because they are actually pretty good. And even Lexi listens to them in her spare time.

Then, the next opening act came on, With Confidence, a band from Australia. I also knew who they were and the crowd settled down a bit while they played. Interesting fact to know is that once we arrived back at school after the concert, the guitarist of With Confidence had been accused of sexual relations with a minor and had been cut from the band after the concert, and the band withdrew from the tour.

Then my loves Knuckle Puck finally come on and the crowd just burst. The lead singer, Joseph, encouraged it. I remember him screaming, "Yeah! Make a death pit! Don't be scared!" I looked at Lexi to see the horror in her eyes that I am sure was also reflecting from mine as well. We did not want to be caught in that. It was already hard enough dodging other "moshers", and I was not trying to get caught in the "death pit". Even though I felt like I was fighting to stay afloat, it was truly great being surrounded by people who were not only screaming the words along with you, but you knew that they understood you to some degree that was more than just the first. Because, no one screams the words to "Pretense" without feeling what Joseph was feeling writing that song.

"Consider this a repercussion of the actions which you were never properly punished for due to an overbearing demeanor brought on by your own self-awareness.
Your credibility is a half-empty glass of salt water that I watched you spill over and over and over again. Go ahead, make me the bad guy
"

The energy that was around us was calm, even though a good amount of people were throwing themselves at each other. I say calm because in the breaths between lyrics, everyone had this silent understanding that we were there for the same few reasons and we needed each other there.

So, even though the concert sounded like a death trap, I would go again. And I encourage everyone to experience the aura that Lexi and I felt that night. Just, don't stand too close to the front, you'll probably get squished.