Public—And Private—Displays Of Racism Have Got To Stop

Stop using people of different races as your punching bags.

11
Elizabeth Suzann

Lately, there have been a slew of videos on social media that bring to light racism in public places, such as doctor's offices, grocery stores, airports, you name it. Racism in any setting is hurtful and wrong, but especially in public around one's peers and colleagues. People (often middle aged and white) begin to complain that they would rather have a white doctor, or that a person of color had disrespected them when clearly nothing happened, or something else. I'd like to talk about this for a minute because it is not right and it never should be normalized.

First of all, to each and every person who thinks they're better than someone else because of the color of their skin, how dare you. You should be ashamed of yourself because you know better. Each person that I've seen do this has been old enough to justify their own words, and clearly, they didn't think them through before spitting them out. If there is a person of color around you, they have just as much right to be where you are as you do.

To jump right into the discussion, a video circulated where an older woman was yelling at another woman of color in a grocery store aisle telling her to "go back to where [she] came from," when she was born in the United States and was a legal U.S. Citizen. To that particular lady, it's a grocery store. IT'S NOT THAT DEEP. Second of all, stop assuming just because a person has an accent and a darker skin tone that they aren't a legal U.S. Citizen. To be quite frank, it's none of your business if they are or not. Just grab your corn flakes and check out, Martha, that's what you're there for.

Next on the list, the ever-popular discussion about doctors of different ethnicities. Yes, there is no doubt that there are a lot of doctors in the U.S. that were born in/born into families from foreign countries and have accents from their countries of origin. Number one: this doesn't mean you won't be able to understand them, they can speak English and they can speak it very well. Stop assuming, once again. Number two: they are just as qualified as any other doctor out there. They went to medical school and got their degree like the other white doctors that you insist on seeing. Number three: if your concern is getting a white doctor rather than letting your CHILD in the EMERGENCY ROOM see any good doctor that will see them and get them treatment, obviously your top concern is being a bigot and you don't really care about the health of your child.

Last, but not least, is the discussion about calling people out in public places. Not only are you publicly humiliating and insulting the person you are shaming, but you are also making yourself look like an absolute idiot. You will be video taped, you will be put on social media, and you will be the center of angsty articles like this one. Save yourself the trouble and be quiet.

You are not entitled to any special benefits for being a certain color. You are not entitled to be rude to anyone else because of their race. The world does not owe you anything. Stop acting like it does.