Reflection on Past Me and a Note to the Person I Am in the Future

Come on kid... this is your dream.

401
Reflection on Past Me and  a Note to the Person I Am in the Future
https://odysseyimages.s3.amazonaws.com/cropped_SkWzUoD-f.jpeg

It all started at the age of twelve. I was determined to be an Emergency Room doctor. That only changed when I got to high school and thought babies were the most amazing thing. I believed that helping a baby (and in part his or her family) would be the most rewarding thing. So it changed to Neonatologist. Jenior (Junior and Senior Year combined as I call it) year I attempted to take anatomy (yes, note the word attempted). It sucked bad and that was the first time I questioned myself. Then I graduated high school and chose to attend Indiana University as a Neuroscience major on the way to my MD. All I have to say about that is what was I freaking thinking? 

Today, I am not even five months away from graduating college! I have no desire to be a medical doctor anymore. I have no desire to put the same amount of pressure on myself that I did when I was in high school. It was my dream, but dreams change. I heard the phrase "but it's your dream" too many times to count. I also heard "Psychology is a waste of a degree." Why thank you for telling me that this field, which I hope to dedicate my life to, is a complete waste of time. I'm clapping for your ignorance on the subject.                                                     

Simply put, I have learned that I cannot force myself to do something I thought was a great idea at the age of twelve. I have grown since then and realized that I have a real passion for Psychology and for Sports Marketing. To the surprise of some, but not all, I plan to get a Masters in Sports Marketing/Administration. After that, I hope to continue on with a PhD/PsyD in Counseling Psychology. Woo for more education! 

Five years from now, I want my future self to know that it is alright to change your mind...again. I would never have discovered my passion for the sports industry as more than a fan if I hadn't became a part of a semi-pro football team. I would never have discovered my passion for Psychology if it wasn't for my high school teacher. The only thing I can hope for five years from now is possibly another degree (or two), and a life I am passionate about. I have followed my passions: sports, Psychology, Russian and East European studies (minor), and life in general. The life I am living right now is part of my reality and part of my dream.

You can do it too. It only takes a little hard work, ambition, and a desire to learn about what interests you. As for me, "Come on kid...this is your dream."