What Proverbs 31 Looks Like Today

What Proverbs 31 Looks Like Today

Proverbs 31 is the epitome of how Godly women should be throughout their lives.

56
What Proverbs 31 Looks Like Today

Proverbs 31 can be very intimidating in this generation. I mean, this generation has the mindset that every woman out there can be strong and independent. Which I agree with to a certain extent. However, God says that we must be dependent in Him in all situations. Man and woman are called to be one, to be fully dependent on each other and on God. So, for all of the women reading this, Proverbs 31 is the epitome of how Godly women should be throughout their lives and here’s a breakdown.

Trustworthy- “Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.” (Proverbs 31:11-12 NIV) In our current and/or future relationships, we must be able to be trusted in the big and little things life has to offer. Without that trust, we cannot be like the woman described in Proverbs 31.

Eager and Purposeful- “She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. She is like merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.” (Proverbs 31:13-14 NIV) The woman described here didn’t go out and buy clothes, she made them with an eager and willing heart. She also planned out when the merchant ships would come bring food, while managing the household budget, making her very organized and resourceful.

Responsible- “She gets up while it’s still night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.” (Proverbs 31:15-16 NIV) As woman of our future homes, we must be willing to sacrifice our own time to help our future husband and children.

Physically Capable- “She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.” (Proverbs 31:17 NIV) The woman described isn’t some slum making her children do all of the work for her. She knows how and what it takes to get stuff done around her home.

Disciplined- “She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp doesn’t go out at night. In her hand she hold the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.” (Proverbs 13:18-19 NIV) She realizes that her only time to work may unfortunately be during the night. Random fun fact: the distaff of a lamp is what holds the fibers together, like a mother holds together her family.

Compassionate- “She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.” (Proverbs 31:20 NIV) Being compassionate to one another is definitely something this whole generation could work on. With that aside, this verse is worded so perfectly, describing how women need to be compassionate to people outside of her household, too.

Prepared and Neat- “When it snows, she has no fear for her household, for all of them are clothed in scarlet. She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in find linen and purple.” (Proverbs 31:21-22 NIV) She is very neat and prepared and isn't concerned about storms that come her way because she is fully prepared by God.

Supportive- “Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.” (Proverbs 31:23 NIV) Submissive is another word that fits here. A wife is to submit to her husband. She supports him in everything he does.

Humble- “She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies merchants with their sashes.” (Proverbs 31:24 NIV) This woman does everything with a humble heart.

Although this passage of scripture can be very intimidating and convicting, this is just a brief overview of what these verses describe. We, as women, are to submit to our future husbands and be supportive of them in and out of the household. And by no means am I saying that I have all of these points down, I'm far from that. With God, He can help shape us into the woman described in this passage. Cling to Him in all you do and He will help guide you down His wonderful path.