I Am Proud To Be A “Basic” Sorority Girl

I Am Proud To Be A 'Basic' Sorority Girl

It is easy to take other peoples views and morph them to your own, however, if we all took the time to educate ourselves we would not have such things like "stigma."

852
Olivia Romano

What do you picture when you think of the stereotypical sorority girl? Beautiful, picture perfect body, and shallow? It sounds harsh to say on paper, but these are the characteristics you envisioned correct? I am writing this to challenge you and to challenge the never ending stigma behind sororities and greek life as a whole. I am here to break this idealized image you have so perfectly engrained in your minds.

Sororities are so much more than the surface. To constitute our worth based on looks, is degrading and at this rate old school thought. These ideas no longer fit into what is now 2019. Sororities are groups of women who empower one another, the community, and themselves.

Before you judge and make preconceived assumptions, know that I understand why your mind takes you to that negative place. Because my mind used to bring me there too. But have the courage to educate yourself on the matter and know its about a lot more than the external.

We see it in movies. The idealized college girl spring breaking in her bikini and bonding with her sisters over jell-O shots and men. Sure this may be some sororities priorities. But from my own personal experience; that is the furthest thing from accurate!

Again it is 2019, a time where women have a voice, an impact upon society. We're no longer beautiful faces in a crowd but leading the crowd.These are the values greek life teaches you. Or at least this is what greek life has taught me!

t has taught me to become involved in service, to push myself toward leadership roles, and to get to know each individual for what truly makes them, them. Beyond the surface level, but in depth.

I am a sister of Sigma Kappa, Theta Delta chapter at the University of Delaware. I can proudly say I have learned something from each and every sister. That these women have led by example, and showed me what it means to truly be a sister. That they have given me a new definition of home.

It means philanthropic work. Raising money and awareness for causes and those who are in need. Inviting family and friends to walk with us for Alzheimer's and shed light upon a brutal disease that is often overshadowed.

It means offering support to fellow sisters whose families connect deeply to the cause. Showing them they are not alone and their struggles are heard and cared for by us. That a sisters struggle, is our struggle too.

It also means standing on your feet for 48 hours straight jumping up and down, singing and clapping. Search for the best new members to join, love, care for, and someday lead our sisterhood. Looking for those who are willing to better our community and chapter.

It means finding your people for life. Women who not only become your best friends but your confidants. Those who are there to confide in and lift you up when life is difficult. To give you brutally honest advice even when you do not necessarily want to hear it. And people who support your dreams and passions, because without this we know we would have nothing.

Each woman is uniquely, undeniably themselves and for that I am grateful. So the stereotypes, they are wrong. In every way possible they are wrong except one; these women are beautiful not only on the out, but the in.

It is easy to associate sororities with the over indulgence mixers, date parties, and Hollywood stigma. But women in sororities are making a true impact and difference. We are so much more. We are kind, we uplift others, we raise awareness, and above all else we care deeply for our fellow sisters.

I am beyond proud to be a "basic". It defines my entire college experience and has shaped me into the confident woman I have become. Do I fit that perfect mold society has so nicely made up? No. But again, here I am proving the stigma to be wrong.

I challenge you to take this advice and apply it to any situation in your life. For it is a valuable life lesson and something to be understood. Educate yourself before you allow for stigmas or preconceived notions to cloud your own original thoughts. Think for yourself, you never know where it may lead you. It may just lead you home.