Yes, I Am An Only Child And I Love It

Yes, I Am An Only Child And I Love It

And no, we’re really not all introverted brats, I pinky promise.

65
Yes, I Am An Only Child And I Love It
Maddy McGlade

I know, I know, we’ve all heard it before. “Only children get whatever they want and they don’t know how to share and they’re super shy and…”

We understand, it is hard to be the favorite child and not have to share our toys with siblings.

Here are 13 reasons why being an only child is probably one of the coolest things ever.

1. We’re super creative.

Come on, playing games with your brothers and sisters? Overrated. We can have more fun than you can ever dream of with a shard of grass and a stuffed dog on a string (yes, this is from experience).

2. Our parents knew we were perfect from the beginning.

They did not need another child to complete them, once they met us, they knew we were the one. And, to this day, we are their favorite child.

3. We’re tough.

We took the blame for everything, because if something was broken, it tended to be our fault. *Cue Kelly Clarkson, "What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger"

4. We can handle ourselves and have learned how to fend for ourselves.

We do not need a big brother to beat up the boy that hurt our feelings.

5. We are very independent.

We can do pretty much anything on our own and not feel awkward about it.

6. Our parents are our best friends, and we have the best time.

We do not have a sister to take us shopping, we get quality time with mom or dad. The relationship I have with my parents is something I will forever treasure.

7. We’re up for anything.

Because if we can find fun in a stuffed dog on a string, we can find fun in true adventures.

8. We get to eat a lot.

There aren’t any boy siblings taking all of the food at dinner. Who’s the real winner here?

9. Our house is like a shrine of… us.

Every school picture, every certificate, every piece of artwork from preschool-present.

10. Family vacation? Bring a friend!!

Mom and dad get a date for a week, and so do you.

11. Pets!

Sometimes, you could guilt trip mom and dad to buy you new fish, a turtle, a puppy or whatever the heck else you wanted.

12. Mom and dad will not miss anything for the world.

You are their pride and joy, and because there’s only one of you, you don’t have the split schedule with only one parent at your game, while the other parent is at your sibling’s play. You get them both, and you get everything they have to give.

13. Most importantly, we would love to be your friend, and friends that become brothers and sisters are the best kind of siblings.

I promise you, we won’t take you for granted, because, most likely, we’d be pretty bored without you. But we’ll give you space, we need quite a bit of that, too.

And, 10 things we’re tired of hearing.

“Ohhhh, you’re an only child? That makes more sense.” Thank you, but I am sure there are things that you have said that would make you “seem like an only child.”

“Don’t do that to them, they’re an only child.” We can take the pain, we can play games and we’re probably better at taking criticism than most are, do not worry about our “soft little feelings.”

“Did your parents just not want more kids?” Well, I don’t know! Did your parents just have to have so many?

“Do you wish you had brothers or sisters?” I think I’ll stick with friends that I don’t get tired of/annoyed with.

“Do you think you’re only going to have one child?” I’ll leave that up to God, my future husband and life.

“What do you even do when you’re at home?” I do what you do, but most likely with my dog, my mom or myself, which is most likely what you do.

“Wow! Are you an only child? I couldn’t even tell!” Thank you so much! That is the best compliment I have ever received, even though it’s completely not and rather rude.

“Do you get lonely a lot?” All the time. You should probably come over and coddle me. Or stay at home and watch television by yourself, just as I am doing.

“You’re so spoiled, I know it.” You’re right, haha. *eye roll*

“How are you ever going to live without your parents?” Well, they will always be my parents, and they’re probably going to follow me wherever I go, and we all have cell phones, so I think I will make it.

*Don't get me wrong, it's cool that you have siblings and your parents love you all equally and you probably have a thousand perks why it's better to have siblings, but y'all never hear our side of the story.*

I promise you, we love being only children. And no, we wouldn’t have it any other way. Stop the stereotypes, don’t think we won’t know how to talk or make friends, and go play catch with your little brother. We, on the other hand, will go take our stuffed dog on a walk.