The Pros and Cons Of Having A Mom That's A Nurse

The Best And Worst Parts Of Having A Nurse For A Mom

When your mom is a nurse, they never stop being a nurse.

799

When your mom is a nurse, they never stop being a nurse. It doesn't matter whether you're at home, the store, practice, or vacation, your mom is always a nurse.

Sometimes it can get annoying when she goes into a medical "spew" but I wouldn't change it for the world and it has saved my life ten times over. There are pros and cons to everything you do and these are my pros and cons for having a mom that's also a nurse.

The pros of having a mom that is a nurse:

First and foremost, you only go to the doctor when it's bad, I mean really bad. And when you do need to go, they know how to "talk doctor." They are the also best help with anatomy, biology, and math homework. You can also always count on your medication cabinet is always stocked with all the ailments and they are always organized.

They have the best and craziest stories to tell when they come home. You get to learn the medical names for medication, procedures, and everything in between. You will always have more knowledge of things regarding the body (for example, sex) more than any of your peers. Most importantly, she knows how to take care of you.

The cons of having a mom that is a nurse:

You can never play the "I'm sick" card to get out of going somewhere. She knows when you're trying to skip out a math test you didn't study for. Any other non-nurse/non-medical parent would most likely go through a checklist to see if you really are sick.

Along with having an amazing story to come home to every day, the stories are usually ones you don't want to hear while eating and they are usually some sort of horror story that you probably could have lived without.

In the long run, it's great to learn things about the body and all, but when you're first learning it, all of it sounds disgusting. But at the end of the day every family member, friends, neighbors, and even complete strangers will ask for her medical advice.

At the end of the day, having any one of your parents be a nurse is an amazing perk, especially if you have a lot of medical issues, but it's not the end of the world if they aren't. If you want to be a nurse and that's your passion, go for it.

There are pros and cons to everything we do in life, but if we still have a passion for it at the end of the day, then it's worth it. Even if you aren't going into the medical field it's a great idea to just get some basic knowledge because it might just save a life one day.