Pros And Cons To Online Courses

Pros And Cons To Online Courses

Make sure you know what's involved

102
Pros And Cons To Online Courses

For many colleges, students summer is a chance to unwind and relax after a hard year away at school. However, there are also college students who use the summer to repair damaged GPAs or get ahead for next semester by taking online courses over the summer. Like anything, there are pros and cons to taking a summer course online, which vary from student to student.

Pro: Online courses let you go at your own pace.

Online courses are typically taught through videos, whether it be prerecorded lectures or narrated powerpoint slides, the online videos allow students taking the course to rewind if they missed an important point, review the lectures as many times as they'd like and lastly allow the student to decide just how fast-paced the course will be.

Con: Whenever computers are involved, computer problems are quick to follow.

You would think that as the world moves closer and closer to being completely digital and online that we would figure out how to live in a virus-free, bug-free, stress-free partnership with our computers. Unfortunately, we have not. Whenever you take an online class be sure to take into account the fact that computers are never 100 percent reliable, especially if you have critical deadlines sneaking up on you.

Pro: Online courses let you work ahead.

If you are planning on studying abroad in the summer or doing any kind of extended travel, online courses give you the flexibility to submit work early so you can have that stress free week on summer vacation in a place without reliable wifi.

Con: Difficult to stay motivated.

Without an angry professor at the front of the class or that atmosphere of academics you find at college, when you take an online class it's all on you to keep up with lectures, notes, and assignments. No one will know if you don't do any homework or quizzes- but your end GPA will definitely sell you out if you don't stay motivated and on top of your work.

Pro: Online courses give you a chance to get ahead.

Taking a course in the summer doesn't have to be a punishment. Maybe you just want to be ahead of the curve next semester or maybe you want to be able to devote your complete attention to a difficult subject. As any college student will tell you, it's never a bad idea to keep your schedule manageable during the school year.

Summer courses aren't always fun, but they can be incredibly helpful.

Whether or not your taking you're class to fill a requirement, correct a past semester's poor performance or just to spend extra time on a difficult subject, online courses provide a relatively easy way to manage your academics during the summer while still giving you the freedom to unwind and relax outside in the summer sun.