What should I do with my free time?

The Pros And Cons Of Having Too Much Free Time

It's not as easy as it sounds.

12839
clock indicates that it is free time

While the idea of free time without a stressful job or an abundance of schoolwork looming over your head may sound like a dream, it can be a nightmare at times. Having a couple of days to decompress is needed for a healthy mind and body. But when too many days go by, it can cause a downward spiral of thoughts and feelings.

As a recent jobless graduate, I was ecstatic to be free from responsibility and take a break from my normal life. That was until I realized just how responsible I had been and needed to be to continue being self-sustained. I learned a few things in this month of unemployment that encouraged me to find a job as soon as possible.

PRO: More time for self care.

smiling woman wrapped in gray blanket to care for selfPhoto by Taisiia Stupak on Unsplash

As we all know, caring for yourself is beneficial for your mind and body alike. Sleeping in a bit longer than usual, pampering yourself in the bath/shower, and buying small treats here and there can be a positive influence. With a break from responsibility, you become solely focused on yourself.

CON: More time to overthink.

man sitting on sofa deep in thoughtPhoto by Stephan Louis on Unsplash

There are twenty-four hours in a day and seven hundred twenty hours in an average month. You think about situations and events even in your dreams. All those hours are spent thinking about things and delving deeper into them. It turns into an endless abyss of thoughts. Definitely not favorable in a time of no to low stress.

PRO: More time to spend with family and friends.

friends laughing and talking outside, having a great time togetherPhoto by Priscilla Du Preez 🇨🇦 on Unsplash

Family and friends are important rocks in your life that will be there at all times. It's important to cherish them and make memories. Whether it's out shopping, out to dinner or just lounging around the house, all options pose a chance to spend time together.

CON: More time to get into trouble.

police car with lights on during night timePhoto by Michael Förtsch on Unsplash

Having freedom allows you to go after what sounds exciting without fully thinking through the actions or consequences. It can lead you down the wrong path even when things are going right.

In every aspect of life, there is always a limit to how much of that thing is actually necessary. After having such a large amount of time to spare, I realized I need to keep busy in order to keep my life on track. That may not be the case for everyone. Some individuals may find they need a longer period of time to function. It's all about finding what works for you.