Pros And Cons Of A Summer Job

10 Pros And Cons Of Having A Summer Job

School might be over but stressing over money is a year long task

5

Having a summer job is all fun and games until its not. Also, these pros and cons are subjective, so if it doesn't apply, let it fly.

1. PRO: Extra money

The summer time is the perfect time to start saving up some money for things you will need once school starts back up. Some of us are even going from working part-time to full-time.

2. PRO: Budgeting

If you are anything like me, your summer job is the place where you start budgeting your money. You compile a list of monthly expenses and try to take out a portion from each check so when September comes, it may not be as hard to handle whilst adjusting to the new semester

3. PRO: A change of pace

Sometimes life gets worse before it gets better. Winter semester could have been a drag that you were not expecting. Thankfully, now your schedule is different and it feels as if though you arent drowning in a million tasks.

4. PRO: Less to worry about

Now, don't take this the wrong way, some jobs are harder than others. However, some of us work during the school year and having to worry about work, problems, school, assignments, grades, and deadlines. Some of us even take on clubs, internships, second jobs, etc. Overall, the summer is a time to not have to worry so much about why your professor hasnt put your grade in

5. PRO: Coworkers

This one is iffy. Coworkers are definitely a hit or miss, you either like them or you don't. However, if you have coworkers who you are very close to at work, this one is for you. Your coworkers may have invited you out and you just didnt have time, well, now is that time. Go out for drinks, dinner, movies, golf, paint balling, etc.

6. CON: Budgeting

Now, hear me out, I know I said its great to budget but its the summer, you want to take trips and go wild but the future bills and rent are at the back of your mind.

7. CON: Taking trips

Considering trips are expensive and also have to be requested, they feel like luxuries we simply cannot afford some times. However, please remember to take care of yourselves. If you need to quit your job 3 weeks before the summer ends and take a trip to a different city or a different country, then do it!

8. CON: Scheduling

Some of us purposely schedule classes as late as we can, whether that be 11am or 3pm, specifically because we want to SLEEP. However, unless you are one of the lucky ones, you are going to have to deal with a 9-5 or something along those lines, which results in you either being tired at work or missing out on some fun.

9. CON: Social Life; work is the pig (except the pig is much cuter)

I probably sound like a broken record, but the summer is the time to make as much money as we can. However, some of us get double shifts or work overtime or get a second job or a third. Although this helps us in the future, it completely shits on our social life. The response to all of the "WYD" is usually "WORKING".

10. CON: Long commutes

This one honestly depends in how far your job is. However, if its more than half an hour away, that means you have to get up extra early to get ready for work and look presentable. Sweats and a messy bun 10 minutes before class are no longer acceptable.

Summer jobs are great, but so is the summer in general. We have the rest of our lives to work. Yes, we need money and yes, we need to start saving up. But you made it through another semester, at least take a day off to treat yourself in whatever way you would like.