Proper Grammar

Proper Grammar

Take out your notebook, cause you're about to get schooled.

22
Proper Grammar
Dictionary.com App

Some people are blessed with natural instincts, like knowing the difference between real Jordans and fake Jordans. I am blessed to know the difference between there, their, and they're.

With graduation right around the corner and school coming to an end, here's a little something to take with you for summer vacation.

So without further ado,

I give y'all (you all)

Proper Grammer Grammar

There- 1. in or at that place

2. at that point in an action, speech, etc.

They're- They are.

Their- a possessive form of they; it belongs to them

You're- you are.

Your- posessive version of you; it belongs to you

Right- 1. a direction the opposite of left

2. in accordance with what is good, proper, or just.

3. to claim agreement.

Write- what I'm doing right now.

It's- it is

Ex: it's lit.

Its- the possessive form of it; belongs to it Ex: The car lost its tire.

Whether- used to introduce the first or two or more choices.

Ex: Whether you like it (first choice) or not (second choice)

Weather- the state of the atmosphere regarding wind, precipitation, moisture, etc.

Ex: What beautiful weather we are having

Were- (pronounced to the same degree as “whir” ) past tense version of be and am; The past tense state of being.

Where- an inquiry; a question: In or at what place?

We're- we are

To- expressing direction or motion toward a point, person, place, or thing; the opposite of from

Two- the number 2, Roman Numeral II

Too- as well.

Ex: Can I come too?

A lot- lots; often. Often misspelled as alot, which is an acceptable spelling and has the same meaning, but is not commonly used.

Well- 1. in a good state of being

Ex: I'm doing well.

2. Used to express surprise, concern, etc.

Ex: Well I'll be darned!

3. Used to introduce a sentence.

Ex: Well sh*t.

We'll- we will.

Isn't, musn't, won't, didn't, can't- the comma (‘) in between the n and t replaces the letter “o”

Ex: Is not, must not, will not, did not, cannot.

Cannot- the inability to do something. Often misspelled as can not, which is an acceptable spelling and has the same meaning, but is not commonly used.

Library (pronounced lie-bRARE-ee)- often mispronounced as Libary (lie-berry); a place that contains books

This post was not me being a Smart Alec (well actually it kind of was) but I am genuinely concerned with these common grammar errors. I'm more than happy to help with any other words anyone has questions about, (seriously I'm a word nerd, I live for this) please leave them in the comments, and stay tuned for my next article: Slang 'Fo Dummiez.

(Sources: Dictionary.com app, common knowledge)