Promises To My Unborn Daughter

Promises To My Unborn Daughter

I read a simple quote, and I suddenly realized how much I have to teach her.

413
Promises To My Unborn Daughter
Pixabay.com

I came across this quote the other day and it really struck a chord with me.

"I can’t trust this world to teach their sons how to treat my daughter. So I will raise her to be a sword, a shield, a spear." ~ Elizabeth Acevedo

I realized after reading these few powerful words that I'm having a daughter. I mean, I knew that I'm having a girl but I suddenly understood the responsibility I have, and my husband has, to teach her the most valuable lessons a female can learn in this world. We have to promise to teach her everything that will help guide her to be strong, independent, and uniquely her, in a world that may try to tear her down. Here are the things I promise to teach my little girl.

Dear Emma,

I promise to teach you to speak your mind and stand up for what you believe in.

I promise to teach you that makeup, lingerie, and clothing are way more for you than anyone else.

I promise to teach you that having a lot of friends should never be a goal.

I promise to teach you to leave behind those who stunt your growth, and to never stop nurturing the relationships with those who truly help you grow.

I promise to teach you that abuse is not an acceptable form of showing affection.

I promise to teach you to fight back and stand your ground.

I promise to teach you to be honest because I will be honest with you.

I promise to teach you how incredibly powerful you are.

I promise to teach you to defend yourself if anyone ever lays their hands on you without your consent.

I promise to teach you what a great relationship looks like.

I promise to let you express yourself.

I promise to teach you about sex and how to stay safe and most importantly, comfortable and happy with those very personal decisions.

I promise to teach you to trust your instincts.

I promise to teach you to take risks but to always consider the consequences.

I promise to teach you that you can do and be anything - and actually mean it.

I promise to teach you to love your body by being an example and loving my own.

I promise to teach you that you should never stop learning and that tests don't determine your intelligence or worth.

I promise to teach you that you won't always be happy but that it will always get better.

I promise to teach you to admit you're wrong and lead by example by apologizing when I'm wrong too.

I promise to teach you that crying and being emotional is not a weakness.

I promise to teach you how to be assertive in a room full of men.

I promise to teach you how to be supportive in a room full of women.

I promise to teach you that other's negative opinions of you mean absolutely nothing.

And along with many more...

I will never let you forget how much I love you.

That's a promise, Emma.

Love, your mom.