I Promise You, Mom and Dad

I Promise You, Mom and Dad

Making my vows to the people that matter most

23414
I Promise You, Mom and Dad
photobiz.com

You know that phrase, "don't make promises you can't keep?" Personally, I think carefully before throwing the phrase "I promise" out there just to be broken in the cruel cold world. While I certainly have failed to uphold a lifetime of promises, I will certainly continue to make more that I will fail to abide by. However, there are some promises to some very special people that I intend on keeping if it kills me. Who are these special people, you might ask? My family, my world and my explanation behind my successes in life would be owed to none other than good ol' Mom and Dad. To the people who have provided so much, I have provided very little in comparison. I can't buy that Hyundai Genesis my dad longs for, and I can't give my mother that dream trip to Germany that she's put on her bucket list. However, I can give something that money can't buy: promises that I will do my best to keep. So here we go, Mom and Dad. Hopefully you're reading this.

I promise to do everything in my power to make sure you're both taken care of when you're old and senile. While I don't know if I'll make it "bigtime" or get that fancy fat paycheck in my future career, I do know that no matter what I will fight for you forever and always.

I promise to make you both proud. I don't want to just accomplish things in life that you can take pride in, but I want to be able to accomplish these things in an honorable and dignified manner. No matter what I earn in life, I want it to be earned fairly and honestly just as you both have done.

I promise to always work hard. There truly is no substitute for hard work and determination. I vow to pursue my goals and desires whole-heartedly or not pursue them at all. You have instilled such a strong work ethic in me and I can only hope that I never lose it no matter how difficult my path to success might be.

Lastly, I promise to always remember who I am, where I come from, and who created the rap music loving/lacrosse playing/food monster/scholar that I am today. Your guys are irreplaceable but I know that you have left an everlasting epic legacy of humble beginnings and some kick-ass triumphs for me to follow. Thank you for everything that you have done. I give you my word whole-heartedly that this self-made contract will forever be ingrained in my morals, thoughts and values as I make my way in this world.