The Projection Of Women In Advertising

The Projection Of Women In Advertising

Just because it continues doesn't mean its okay.
93

Females begin being influenced by advertising at the point in their lives when fitting in is already a crucial item on their daily agenda. In saying that, having warped views of reality regarding the image of women from advertising creates a stereotype female’s attempt to live up to that simply does not exist outside of advertising.

With a society so invested in social media and adapting to social norms, the “norms” are based on how the female sex is projected in social media and advertising. Designer ads send the message that it is okay to be seen as inferior to the male sex. Perfume ads for example are often somewhat sensual, a bit intriguing and draw the audience’s attention towards the bottle with it’s flashy design. With an enlarged image of the smooth curved bottle, mimicking the shape of the models torso and hips in the ad, which holds a rich shade of liquid visible inside of it. The ads have thin women in the center with their model's wearing neutral makeup and men's dress coats to attempt to cover themselves. Ads tell their audience that being projected as weak is acceptable as long as it parallels being beautiful and thin.

When corporations produce advertisements the ultimate goal is selling the product being advertised. To do so- the product will be objectified in whichever way brings in more revenue, and in today’s society that way is through sex appeal. Face it- sex sells. The sexual appeal is delivered to consumers through advertisements with racy images, nude or close to nude women and with strong male personas somehow present throughout the ad to make the woman in the advertisement seem inferior.

Females of all ages are influenced by advertisements because they consume everyday life, but that doesn’t make it okay to continue projecting them the way we are. Unfortunately, these ads are all around us, making it hard to escape the images of the seemingly flawless women, which in actuality is degrading and unrealistic. The models get photo shopped and have a makeup team ensuring they are presented as nothing but flawless. Real people, real women in real life do not have teams to daily perfect them. Leaving nothing but disappointment and a serious need of confidence boosting when looking in the mirror after seeing these ads.