To The Professor Who Saved My Life

To The Professor Who Saved My Life

You are a blessing that I thank God for every day.

272
To The Professor Who Saved My Life
Hannah Galloway

"A great teacher takes a hand, opens a mind, and touches a heart." -- Unknown

I was continuously told in high school that college professors wouldn’t care about their students. Although most of the professors I’ve had in the past weren’t anything like high school led me to believe, none of them were ever quite as remarkable as you.

The first time I came to your office to ask questions about research and how I could be involved, I was a nervous wreck. I was afraid I wouldn’t live up to your expectations. So, I stood outside of your office door for a good three minutes-heart pounding and palms sweaty-trying to calm myself down.

I was worried over nothing, though, because you were approachable, very informative, and overall just a really friendly person who seemed excited that a student was interested in their work. We talked for about two hours, but I knew within 45 minutes that I had chosen the best professor in the department to seek out.

That initial meeting led to a support system I was never expecting. I told you something about myself that I was having a hard time coping with, but it didn’t change your perception of me, and that meant the world. Over time, I’ve come to trust you with even more personal information. Still, you never judge me.

You never tell me I’m looking for attention. I know now that I can come to you just to vent, and you’ll always listen. You never tell me you’re too busy, have papers to grade that are more important, or anything like that. You simply give me your undivided attention. Your office has quickly become my safe space; one of my favorite places to be on campus.

You’re like another mother to me. You’ve caught on to my bad habits, and you push me to break them. You’re aware of my insecurities, so you constantly support and reassure me. You know about my struggles with mental illness, so you make it a point to ask me how I’m doing. You understand me, and you see things in me that even I can’t see in myself (which I sometimes wonder if that’s due to the fact that, as you say, I’m so much like your daughter.)

I know I can be a lot to handle, and I’m very stubborn, but you never lose your patience with me. You’ve never once complained about how much of your time I take up (I know it’s a lot). I can always count on you to raise me up whenever I succeed at something- like making the President’s List.

I’ll never forget what you said, and that minor remark meant more to me that day than you could’ve known. But you also stay on me when I’m slacking off in my classes, and I know it’s only because you want me to succeed. You are someone I admire, someone I can look to and think, “I hope I can one day touch someone’s life in the way that she has touched mine.”

You’ve done far more for me than you ever had to, and it's all because you want to. You’ve been one of the greatest influences in my life, and I’m so thankful to have you as a mentor and friend.

You’ve taught me so much about life and what it means to be a kind-hearted person, and I believe the most important lesson I’ve learned from you is this: We all have different struggles, and we all come from different walks of life. Show compassion to each and every person you meet because you never know when that compassion will be the thing that saves his or her life.

Thank you for saving mine.