To The Professor Who Ruined My Confidence

"THANKS FOR RUINING MY CONFIDENCE"

561
fordschool / Flickr

As I've written previously, I changed my major from English to Elementary Education in November of 2016. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with that major, all I knew was 80 pages of Beowulf a night were killing me.

Once I changed my major and began focusing on what I truly wanted to do with my life, I began to feel at peace. I want to be the teacher known for helping her students, and being an inspiration and I've already been told that this is impossible.

Before fall break, my professor said "people who are going to college and majoring in education, are finding that after five years, they are sick of the system and don't want to give up anymore," and to that statement, I couldn't help but ask: WHY? There are plenty of students out there that struggle every day in school and home lives, and you're going to sit there and tell me that my teaching philosophy isn't good enough and that the people who quit in five years are similar to college students?

THANKS FOR RUINING MY CONFIDENCE.

But seriously, why would you tell your freshmen students, or even students that just switched majors for the tenth time this semester, trying to figure our lives out, this rate? Did we upset you to make you want to make up a fact? What have we done to have you tell us this and jog our minds about our future again?

If I had a dollar for every time I heard "the world could use more decent teachers," I would be filthy rich. People want the compensation for their children for what they didn't get out of a classroom, and then there are some that send the child to school and hope that they learn something like discipline. But that should not be how it works, folks.