Productivity Tips for the 2020 school year

"Success is a journey not a destination" - Ben Sweetland

9
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/629729960377093121/

With everything going on in the world right now it may feel hard to stay on top of your work and remain productive. I can definitely attest to this. When universities closed down back in March I was more than pleased that school was going to be online and more specifically exams would follow suit. However, little did I know that alongside online exams came at-home distractions. YUP. I fell into all your typical at-home traps; constant snack breaks, procrastination, Netflix binges you name it and I was on it. Staying focused became harder for me than the actual work that I was doing. By the end of the online semester, my grades fell surprisingly and my motivation plummeted. I think that for an entire month afterwards, I didn't touch anything school-related.

It was only until the beginning of May when my university announced that the fall semester was going to be online that I realized things needed to change. I needed to gain back control of my life so that I would not be lost when school started up again. "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going" and I really needed to build these habits. Soon after I realized that I didn't need to change everything I was doing entirely instead I just needed to alter some of my bad habits. In other words, I had just found a happy medium. So with all that being said I just wanted to share 5 of the changes that I have implemented into my life and will continue with once I move back to campus!

*Warning*: No one is perfect. I have not mastered any of these tips yet either. But the important thing is to start somewhere

1. Wake Up Early

- Waking up earlier than 9am has always been a difficult task for me I am someone who loves those extra minutes. However ever since I've been waking up at or before 8 am. I've noticed significant changes. Not only does the day feel longer but I get so much done before lunch that I can peacefully enjoy the rest of my day. Whoever said "early to bed, early to rise makes a woman stronger & wise" was a genius!

2. Journal

- Journaling is something that I implemented in my life back in March and have continued on with and I love it so much. Whether you are someone who loves to talk about your feelings or someone that is closed off journaling is for you. My mental health is getting better and I most definitely owe it to having a non-judgmental place to vent.

3. Gratitude

- When you first wake up in the morning, think of three things you're grateful for. Gratitude makes you happier, more resilient, more likeable, and can literally add years to your life. I only implemented gratitude writing into my daily journaling recently but it has made me more humble

4. Exercise

- Regular physical activity is not only good for your physical body but it is amazing for your mental health. Take advantage of this and get healthy all around!

5. Create a vision board

- Start believing that all your dreams and goals are possible. Use a vision board to create that emotional connection that will motivate you!