Productivity Hacks: "The 30 Minutes Rule"

Pulling constant all-nighters? Overwhelmed with work load? Stop! There's a way out and here's my top secret...

253
Pexels.com

Staying motivated and productive is a key tool to perform any form of task, but its not as straightforward. I am still figuring out how to balance my time and schedule, because I've fallen to the blackhole of procastination. Scrolling through Instagram, lying to ourselves that you're actually gonna start studying in 30 minutes and that there's so much time at night.

It's very common for students to start a task and spend at least 1-2 hours to complete it. If they don't proceed to change the subject, then they can get absorbed into the 'work flow' and not delegate enough time to finish everything.

The "30 Minutes Rule" is when you divide tasks into 30 minutes increments, to maintain the attention-span and prevent spending extensive energy on just a single task. So, here's how to use the Rule.

1. How do I break my time?

Organize your large/time-consuming tasks into smaller chunks, by focusing on one criteria at a time. For example, spend 30 minutes doing research and then 30 minutes writing a draft. The key idea is to remember not to worry about how far you'll get into the task. Just put in the effort and get started!

2. How should I organize my tasks?

Have you felt that you were spending too much time on a task, because you were dreading the task the entire time? Stop right there and plan your small chunks. It is much more useful and effective to stay focused for a shorter period of time, because you will see progress in all tasks. Not only that, you can get the easier tasks done first and tackle the others with additional time.

3. How frequently should I take breaks?

A small break of 5-10 minutes can be a great way to move around and boost energy. Performing a task for an hour and taking a twenty minute break isn't what you want to achieve. Instead, take smaller breaks. You won't feel the inclination to increase break time, since you've already been working in small time frames.

4. This is a little tricky. Any suggestions?

If 30 minute seems too long, try 25 minutes. Trust me, you will always have enough time to come back to tasks and complete them. It may been difficult to adapt to, but you'll be happy to know you got a portion of two subjects complete in an hour. Don't be stressed out about perfection. Keep trying, because productivity will come as second nature.

Now, my hidden secret is out there, so you can be successful. College isn't meant to be easy, so work smarter, not harder . Happy studying!