Fox's New Show 'Prodigal Son' Is The Perfect Fix For True Crime And Michael Sheen Fans Alike

The tone of 'Silence of the Lambs' meets the softness of Michael Sheen

31

**MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD**

The first episode of Fox's new show Prodigal Son aired this week, yet another true-crime drama. The show centers around Malcolm Bright, a criminal psychologist for the NYPD who just happens to be the son of a notorious serial killer, Dr. Martin Whitley, nicknamed "The Surgeon." When Malcolm discovers that The Surgeon has a copycat, he has no choice but to go to his father, who he's been estranged from for ten years, to ask for his input in order to solve the crime. The pilot leaves off with Whitley suggesting that the two should team up in order to solve other murders, since he himself is able to think like a serial killer because, well, he is one.

The response to the new show was overall positive. It being a true-crime drama, and so close to Halloween, there was no doubt that the show would receive a lot of attention. A lot like 'The Silence of the Lambs,' or 'Hannibal,' where the detective has no choice but to take the imprisoned serial killer with expertise on the subject's advice. It is a trope done before and beloved by fans.

Also with this trope, the audience can't help but feel somewhat sympathetic toward the killer. Yes, he murdered 23 people, but he is witty and seems to really care about his son. (Plus, he's vegan now.)

This killer is different, though, and the fans he's attracted to the show are as well. Played by Michael Sheen, Martin Whitley is perhaps the "softest" serial killer we've ever seen. Fans of Sheen, who were most likely fans of 'Good Omens,' 'Masters of Sex,' and his plethora of other films and shows flocked to 'Prodigal Son' just to see him in handcuffs and a sensible cardigan.

Michael Sheen's filmography is as diverse as they come, as he plays everything from an ancient Vampire villain to a hedonistic Angel, but there is something both eerie and endearing seeing him play who is supposed to be evil. Deep down, we all still see Sheen as the soft, curly-haired, Welsh actor we love... who just so happens to be very good at creepy smiles.