Here I Am, Procrastinating

Here I Am, Procrastinating

"Similar to that of a hangover, procrastination is a self induced sickness that many of us suffer chronically."

32

Procrastinate. (verb) to put off intentionally and habitually: to put off intentionally the doing of something that should be done. (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

More often than not, we find ourselves in the situation of thinking about what it is we should be doing instead of actually doing what needs to be done. Unsure of why we do it, it typically becomes a problem right around the time when the last thing we need at that moment is problems. And in that moment of "the problem," we will continue to make it worse as we have left ourselves in a position of not even knowing where to being or go about fixing the problem without feeling overwhelmed.

Similar to that of a hangover, procrastination is a self-induced sickness that many of us suffer chronically.

With no real cure, the problem continues to worsen. We find ourselves under mounds and piles of work and responsibility. Unsure of a way out. The stress suffocating us, so we decide we need a little break and will get back to it later.

Day after day, night after night, procrastination always finds a way to wean itself in. With such immediate effect, there is really no way to avoid it once present.

Sometimes, procrastination effects have become so prevalent in our lives, we begin procrastinating our procrastination.

"Thinking about doing homework without showering off the stench of the day is preposterous. I must shower before I start. But once I shower, I can't do anything else because I will sweat and that will have defeated the purpose of the shower. Well, this assignment is due at midnight and it's only 10 pm. I will clean out my car since I have been meaning to do that for the last month. Wash the dishes I have put off the last few days, hop into the shower and get back to work with plenty of time to spare."

*Looking at Instagram, article due in nine minutes

And after the effects dwindle, we realize that every little bit of stress and thought of having "way too much work to do" was all at our own expense and could have been avoided completely.