Tips For Packing

8 Pro-Tips For The Procrastinating Packer

A guide to packing without procrastinating written by a procrastinator.

15

I bet you wish your packing was as aesthetically pleasing as my cover photo.

I'm just as much of a procrastinator, so I don't know if you really want to be listening to tips from me, but here they are.

1. Lists

Lists will literally save your life in almost any situation.

Especially if you organize your list. Make a list of lists. Separate items into clothes, toiletries, decorations, and every little item in between. And then make the actual lists of what you need.

When moving into college though, it looks more like "don't pack all of your clothes, remember deodorant."

2. Know how much time you have

Do you have a few days to get it all done? THEN SPLIT IT UP!!! That's where these lists can come in handy. Day 1 pack all of your clothes, day 2 pack your toilets, so on and so forth.

Same goes for your last minute packing items. All you have to do is change into real clothes? You need like 5 minutes. Need to pack your whole toiletry selection because you shower in the morning on top of all your makeup? You might want to wake up an hour or so earlier.

3. Separate last minute items

Speaking of setting aside time the day of, set aside the items as well. If you know you're going to wear a specific shirt, don't pack it. Same goes for any makeup, toiletries, etc.

3. Last minute laundry

Get it done sooner rather than later. We know, you don't want to bring dirty clothes to school, and you don't want to do laundry soon and have another load to do the day before you go. Having to do one load the day before you go is much better than having to do 3 loads of laundry the day before you go.

4. Keep distractions away

No more tweeting about how you have so much packing to do and that you're never gonna get it done in time because you'll get it done sooner if you just put your phone down!!

6. Practice downsizing

No, you really don't need your whole wardrobe for a 3 day trip. 3 days = 3 outfits, not 12.

7. Try to pack all of the same items in specific bags

If you need a bag for your hot sauce, by all means, have a separate bag for your hot sauce!

You don't want to be packing shirts and toilet paper in the same bag. Because later on when you're wondering where your toilet paper went, you're going to remember that's the bag the shirts are in, not the toilet paper.

8. Double check big items

It won't be the end of the world if you forget to pack your favorite necklace, as long as you remember items like your ID or phone charger, you're fine. So, do your best to double check everything, even when you think there's no way you could forget it.