14 Ways To Procrastinate Instead of Studying for Finals

Trust me, I’m an expert.

32
Michael M.

Finals are coming up and I'm sorry to bring it up but they aren't going anywhere. It's already Week Nine (quarter system truly is horrific) and time is ticking away. The stress on campus is palpable and everyone is on edge.

To help combat that, and hopefully bring some joy back into our lives, I have compiled some things that I see myself always coming back to during this time to make myself feel better.

The reality of this article is that I'm going to do all these 14 things before finals anyways so might as well write about it so y'all get some ideas for yourselves.

1. Writing poetry/doing art

Being able to release my stress and emotions into art and writing allows me to process and deal with anxieties and finding out the next productive step.

2. Cleaning the house

Having a better study environment will inspire me to study more so I have to clean the whole house and the bathroom too. It will take approximately two hours. What do you mean I have that essay due tomorrow?

3. Looking at my schedule for next quarter

My next quarter’s schedule is already finalized so staring at it doesn’t make any difference. But it does make me feel happy that I will finally be done with my classes now and move on to different (and definitely harder) avenues soon.

4. Researching new shows to watch but not watching them

It doesn’t count as I’m not actually watching the show, does it? Sure, I spent 4 hours researching every actor and the whole plot and every single other thing they have been in but as long as I didn’t press play, it doesn’t count.

5. Making future plans

What do you mean I shouldn’t think about which grad schools I am interested in and focus on my assignment that due tonight? This is me taking time for my future and I really think it is something that I need to do. That assignment? We shall see later.

6. Taking a nap

Sleeping might replenish the sheer exhaustion of having to do work.

7. Going out for food

Spending two hours with friends buying expensive food instead of eating food at home while I could also study? Sign me up!

8. Watching a movie

I am not much of a movie person but hey, everyone has been talking about some movie or another. I’m sure I could find something to pass three hours away for no reason. A cute romantic comedy? Sure.

9. Doing laundry

I need clothes to wear, you know! This isn’t exactly optional. I know, I know I could do it tomorrow because I have that exam tomorrow morning but also, maybe I want something from my clothes to wear to that exam. Superstitions and all.

10. Online shopping

I deserve to treat myself and maybe it may not be an ideal time to do so, but I still want to so I will for approximately 2 hours and regret it later.

11. Applying for internships

The best procrastination is alternate work but maybe that’s just the capitalism speaking.

12. Hitting up old friends

I definitely have time to meet up with someone I haven’t seen in a while and catch up for 1-1.5 hours, minimum. See you!

13. Play chess late at night 

A friend of mine recently reintroduced chess to me and I forgot how to do things with my brain that is not studying, so it’s a nice change of pace.

14. Reopening duolingo

I actually haven’t done this yet, so there is still hope for me maybe. But reopening duolingo knowing very well that I’m going to abandon it in like 5 days is something that I struggle with abstaining from.