The Real Problem With Youngstown

The Real Problem With Youngstown

Youngstown used to be great, why isn't it now?

1534
The Real Problem With Youngstown
Economy of Youngstown Ohio

The city of Youngstown, Ohio faces serious hardship. As a student at Youngstown State University, I think the city gets a bad rap.

Youngstown used to be a unique city, full of life and jobs.

According to Ohio History Central, Youngstown's early success and population growth was due to the iron and coal deposits found near the city. Later, due to the completion of the Pennsylvania and Ohio Canal and the construction of railways Youngstown was able to flourish. By 1890, Youngstown's population grew to over 33,000 residents.

In the late 1800's, the first steel mills were built in Youngstown. The completion of the mills signaled the new influence of development in the city. The population grew because of the immigration from many races, including Polish, Italians, and Hungarians.

By 1930, the city grew to over 170,000 residents due to the steel industry. The Great Depression then hit Youngstown hard. It relied so much on the steel industry that the unemployment rate was three times the national average in 1930.

During World War II, Youngstown steel industry contributed to the American war effort, which in turn brought prosperity back. Youngstown's economy was able to grow again, with the growth of the automotive industry and the demand for steel in the area.

Late in the twentieth century, Youngstown saw the stump in growth slowed unemployment rose. The steel industry across the U.S. was in decline. Cities like Pittsburgh and Youngstown became part of what is known as the "Rust Belt." By 2000, the population of Youngstown decreased to a little over 82,000 residents.

According to the Census Bureau, in 2014 there were a little over 65,000 people residing in Youngstown.

So what drove people to leave Youngstown and settle in its suburbs?

Jobs.

At the beginning of 2014, the unemployment rate was 10.1 percent, and by the end of 2014, it fell to about 7 percent.

Sure seven percent doesn't sound like a lot when you think about it, but the national average of unemployment in the nation was 6.2 percent. People started to leave Youngstown because the jobs were leaving.

Boardman, Austintown, Canfield, Poland, and Niles, etc were all able to grow the city's economy because each of them had one motive. That was to bring in business.

The problem with Youngstown is the amount of businesses leaving outweighs the amount of businesses coming in.

People are too afraid to go to Youngstown in fear of being mugged on the streets. Businesses are going to the suburbs because people feel safer outside of the city.

I think if there were more jobs in Youngstown, there wouldn't be as many people on the streets.

The problem with Youngstown is there's nothing for residents to do. It's become a boring city. The nightlife consists of people going to bars. There isn't a lot of entertainment, or places to eat. There are small restaurants, but people want Chipotle, Texas Roadhouse, Olive Garden, etc. downtown.

The problem with Youngstown is there is nowhere to park. Parking downtown is the worst. Why would I leave Youngstown State Univesity if they have free parking for me and food to eat to go downtown and have to struggle to get parking and eventually have to pay for it? If there was an easier way to park downtown, I would go downtown more often.

The problem with Youngstown isn't Youngstown itself, it's the mindset people have of it.

If franchises, restaurants, and shops came downtown, like Grove City, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland, the city would see a lower unemployment rate, less crime and economic growth. No one I know is coming downtown, they are all going to the suburbs to go grocery shopping, clothes shopping, to go bowling and see movies and go out to eat.

In my opinion, Youngstown would be a great city if there were places of interest for people of all ages.

I want to see Youngstown flourish again.

In order to have a great city, people have to think it's great as well.