Alabama Is Giving Babies A Voice When They Have None

I stand behind your bill.

157
https://www.pexels.com/photo/grayscale-photo-of-baby-feet-with-father-and-mother-hands-in-heart-signs-733881/

There's no doubt that the recent bill banning abortions passed by the state of Alabama has caused an uproar. Let me be one to say that I am so grateful that this bill was passed. Babies in the womb are human beings. Even science says that life begins at conception, so why would ending that life not be considered murder? Abortion takes the life of an innocent human being without a voice.

Now before you stop reading this because you disagree with my stance, I ask that you listen for a moment. The argument from pro-choicers have consisted of, "Men shouldn't be making laws about women's bodies," "A woman shouldn't be forced to have a child if she doesn't want to," "What about the children who were conceived in rape or incest," etc.

There are so many different angles to come at this topic from, but we are looking at it the wrong way. First, to state the facts: in Florida, .086% of all abortions occur due to incest or rape. About 6% are due to social and economic reasons and 92% report no reason (elective).

Many people are saying that a child who was conceived in an "unplanned" circumstance should be reason enough to abort the child, but what about the children who were conceived in those same "unplanned" circumstances that were born, the ones whose mother chose life, who chose adoption because she didn't have the financial means to support her child? That child whose life matters just as much as every single one of us. The child who was conceived in rape is no lesser of a human being because of the sins his or her father committed. No one life is less important to this world than another.

Now I understand that people are upset because rights seem to be taken away from women. I understand the argument about men making laws regarding women's bodies. I have made an effort to understand the other side, I really have, because I want people who don't agree with me to do the same.

But as I thought more about our "rights being infringed upon" I thought about what lead us there. How have we, as a world, gotten to the point that we need laws stopping us from killing another human being? That really is what this bill is. It prevents us from committing murder. We have laws like this in place today. If you kill someone you are going to jail. That law is meant to protect the people, and well, this law is meant to protect the babies.

While a lot of people are upset about this, I ask one thing from you: respect everyone, regardless of their stance on this. There can't be an open dialogue if hostility is at the core of the conversation. Attacking someone else for their opinion is a sure way to make sure they don't listen to you. While I posted a few stories with pro-life content, I got a nasty message about how I'm a "hypocrite" for not believing in a woman's "right to choose." I calmly explained the statistics and reasons behind my stance.

While I could have easily explained that they should look up the definition of a hypocrite because she clearly misused it and didn't have anything to back that up, I chose to respond in love. Her hurtful, attacking words did not make me want to look at things from the other side. It wasn't until a friend who respectfully asked questions as to why I supported the bill and kindly expressed his opinion. So regardless of your stance, respect people, even if you don't agree with them, this approach can lead to a beautiful, respectful conversation.