Christian and Pro-Choice

I'm A Christian, But I'm Still Pro-Choice

God gives us free will to choose to sin or not to sin, women should get that same free will when it comes to abortions.

72
https://www.flickr.com/photos/prochoiceamerica/40973661301

With the recent changes in New York laws, there's been quite a bit of buzz around the pro-choice vs. pro-life debate. Specifically, I've noticed a lot of pro-life supporters using religion to justify their political stance.

Well, I am a Christian and while I personally find abortion to be immoral for any reason other than serious risk, but I also do not and will not support the pro-life agenda.

Think about it this way: If you go all the way to the beginning the Bible, to the story of Adam and Eve, you'll notice something specific. God told them not to eat the forbidden fruit, but he didn't make it impossible for them to eat it. He warned them that there would be consequences if they did but again did not make it impossible to eat it.

Adam and Eve both had free will. They were allowed to make their own choice. God never took away our free will. He wants us to choose him and to choose to follow His Word. Not being obligated to, not be forced to, not be coerced to, not be guilted to. He WANTS us to choose.

The fact is that we all sin. We all make less than stellar decisions from time to time. It's not my job as a Christian to force other people to make the same decisions that I would make.

It also not my job to pass judgment for making a decision that I think is wrong. At the end of the day, I don't get to make that judgment call. God does. I'm not standing next to God helping him decide who goes to hell and who doesn't. And neither are you.

As Christians, we are called to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. Notice how there aren't any stipulations in that statement. It doesn't say "love your neighbor only if they do everything I think they should." It doesn't say "love your neighbor unless they've had an abortion. If they've done that, then feel free to hate them."

It just says to love our neighbors. We are called to love them through the highs and the lows, the good and the bad.

God gives us the ability to choose. Who are we to take that right away from anyone else?