5 Times Princess Mia Understood Curly Hair Problems

Here are five curly hair problems as told through Princess Mia!

57

Growing up I always wanted to be like the girls in my classes that had stick straight hair. Instead, I had a mass of frizzy ringlets that more often than not resembled a birds nest (Fun Fact: It still does some days).

Getting ready in the morning was always a struggle. I did NOT want my hair brushed so I ended up wearing my hair in a ponytail almost every day for years on end because I just simply didn't want to provide my hair the care and attention it needed. Who can blame me? I was more focused on playing with my friends than how I looked.

Of course, once I got older I realized that I was going to have to make more of an effort because ponytails weren't cutting it anymore. Here are five curly hair problems and tips to go with on how to combat them.

1. The dried out, broken-down curls 

If you are someone who washes your hair every day then you must know the dried out broken down curls feeling. Washing curly hair too often actually strips it of its natural oils and can cause it to dry out quickly and lead to breakage. Dried out curls also contribute to frizzier hair. No thanks!

Tip: Try washing your hair every other day or honestly even every two days. I obviously shower daily to get the days dirt and grime off but instead of washing my hair each time I throw it up in a bun and keep it from getting wet. Usually, I use a bit of dry shampoo in there too which can help as well to remove some of the oils at the roots close to your scalp.

2. Straightening

If your hair is as thick and as curly as mine then straightening it is an ordeal. Shower, blow-dry, straighten. Seems simple right? No, blow drying takes at least an hour and a half (if not two hours) and straightening takes roughly two hours depending on what kind of straightener head you have. All that work and time only to have the ends still slightly curl anyways. Not to mention the identity crisis you have looking in the mirror and seeing straight hair instead of curly.

Tip: Don't straighten your hair… at all. Besides the heat dries your curls out anyways and can cause breakage. Just don't do it. Your curls will be happier and healthier being their true selves.

3. Sleeping on wet curls

I HATE sleeping with wet hair. Not just because it's uncomfortable and makes me cold but because in the mornings my curls end up all sorts of crazy weird shapes forcing me to just throw it up in a bun. I know you're probably thinking "just blow dry it before bed" but an attempt to blow-dry my hair creates a layer of frizz thicker than the ozone layer.

Tip: I also am not the biggest fan of waking up super early so… sometimes my showers are at weird times of the day. Whatever fits into your schedule that allows your hair to air dry, or even blow dry if that works for you (lucky ducky) before your head hits that soft pillow for a night of sweet dreams. I often shower in the afternoons and do homework while my hair dries.

4. The frizz

No, not Mrs. Frizzle from The Magic School Bus. I'm talking the layer of frizz that surrounds our hair like the fuzzy halo that it is. On days where there's lots of moisture in the air, it can look like we've been electrocuted and some of our hair is fried. It's a constant battle trying to tame it all down - a battle I usually end up losing.

Tip: Most days I just embrace the frizz but if I really need to look presentable or it's just gotten to be too much I use Living Proof Instant De-Frizzer on my hair. It's a lightweight spray that helps tame those pesky flyaways. Just a few sprays and a run of your fingers over the frizz and it makes a noticeable improvement!

5. Fun hairstyles

Sometimes it can be hard to have some variety in hairstyles. Curls aren't always the most conducive for updos or braids. I still to this day struggle with simple braids for my thick curly hair let alone attempting updos. Not only the struggle but the time it takes!

Tip: For special occasions pay the money to get your hair done. I did that for both my proms. It was a once a year thing and saved my pretty much my entire day, plus a lot of stress and tears when it would turn out lopsided and wonky.