Why Pride And Prejudice Is Still Beautiful

The film adaptations that glorify the novel.

194
booklovergifts

There have been a great deal of adaptations of the beloved classic novel Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. However, none compare to the authenticness of the 1995 miniseries starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle and the beautiful cinematography of the 2005 film adaptation starring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen. Here are a few reasons why Jane Austen’s novel and these adaptations in particular melt my heart.

1. Lack of Touch

Due to the time period’s guidelines, like needing to be introduced before speaking with a man, it made socialization with the opposite sex restricting. Therefore, events like balls were one of the few times men and women came in contact making small gestures like holding hands electric while dancing. With all the hugging, hand holding, and high fiving in our society now, the simple act of brushing hands doesn’t hold the same effect or mean as much which is something rather beautiful that I think we have lost today.

2. Character Development

Because Jane Austen wrote what she knew, her characters effortlessly possess authentic life — they have layers. In particular, the Bennet family is quirky, loud, and embarrassing from Lydia and Kitty being silly and flirtatious, Mary being awkward, Jane graceful, honest, and good while Elizabeth is clever, witty, playful, and charming. However, personalities aside, Jane Austen's characters go through real struggles while Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy grow in maturity of one another’s perceived standing as the story unfolds.

3. The Picture

In the 2005 adaptation, the beauty of the set makes you want to step back in time. The colors of the rooms, dresses, and the landscape are soothing to the eye. And aside from the colors, the cinematography captures simplicity that one can’t help but admire. From chickens and dogs running around to untouched landscape, the viewer cannot take their eyes off the screen.

3. It’s Hilarious

For the properness that is expected to be represented for this time period, Jane Austen sure has her characters say some very outlandish dialogue. For one, most of what Mr. Collins says is either inappropriate or awkward. Furthermore, Elizabeth’s sisters and mother are also appallingly embarrassing in their remarks and public outburst.

4. It’s Dramatic

From the proposal rejections, Wickham’s deceitful nature, and the rudeness of Lady Catherine de Bourgh, I don’t know what else to say.

5. It’s Romantic

The viewer cannot help but root for Elizabeth as she, much like Jane Austen, refuses to marry without love. It is also appreciate that this story isn’t love at first sight. Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy grow through a molding process. And it has (spoiler) the ultimate happy ending.

6. The Music

If you have not seen the 2005 adaptation, as lovely as the writing is, the music speaks louder than any of their words. I’ll let you listen for yourself.

Even after all this time, Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice still his relatable, funny, surprising, and sweeps you off your feet. This love story continues to win my heart regardless of the number of times I’ve listened to the character’s words because the story is timeless and classic.