With the holidays right around the corner, the mad rush to get the perfect gifts for loved ones begins. Finding the perfect thoughtful, personal object to wrap in shiny patterned paper to be presented at the perfect moment is incredibly stressful. But there are also gifts to give that money can’t buy, that they will love and appreciate well past New Years.
1. Be present. Put all of the screens in your room (and then leave your room).
2. Help them make meals, do the dishes, and clean the house.
3. Write them a letter telling them why you love them.
4. Give them hugs they weren’t expecting.
5. Tell them why you are proud of them.
6. Tell them what you admire about them.
7. Ask them how their day was.
8. Surprise them with homemade breakfast.
9. Ask how they are doing.
10. Be an active listener.
11. Listen to their stories and share your own.
12. Offer to take on a responsibility you know they don’t like.
13. Go for a walk with them instead of sitting inside.
14. Tell them about their potential and encourage them to chase their dreams.
15. Introduce them to something new that you think they will love.
16. Tell them they were right that one time you refused to admit you were wrong.
17. Tell them about all the times you thought about them but forgot to tell them.