Getting Sick In College Is Worse Than Drinking Medicine From The Bottle, Use These 5 Tricks To Beat The Heat Of Your Fever

Your mom can't always be there to nurse you back to health!

50

Getting sick is never a fun way to spend your time. The only thing worse than getting sick is getting sick in college. In college, you're all on your own! You can't just have your mom wait on you, hand and foot, and pump you full of DayQuil and Gatorade. You have to be proactive and learn how to beat the heat of your 102 fever. So, as a college student, who has had her fair share of sick fits in college, here's what you need to do when you just want your mom to baby your sick body!

1. Keep a small "sick kit" in your room!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bub2OqjFBrv/

This is kind of a pre-sickness step but it's definitely a necessity. I remember the first time I got sick freshman year and I had nothing to help me. No Tylenol, no Vapor-rub, no nothing! I felt miserable and at the time, I didn't have a car so I couldn't just run to Target to pick some medicine up. So, when you are first moving into your dorm/apartment, add a few helpful things to your list. Add some form of Tylenol or ibuprofen, a pack of DayQuil, some cough drops, some Emergen-C and just a few other little things that you may need when you feel like you're dying.

2. Sleep is your new best friend.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmYcz3WHm3v/

If you already got hit with the sick bug or you are having some pre-warning symptoms, get ahead on your rest. Sleep is the most natural way to recover from sickness and the lack of sleep is probably a big determining factor in why you got sick in the first place. Sleep makes you feel better and you need a good 6-8 hours of it per night. I know, in college, it's so easy to stay up until 3am and then jam pack your day full of fun activities. But, you can't push yourself on little to no sleep. So, start hitting the hay a little earlier or a little longer!

3. Lots and lots of fluids will help you get better!

https://unsplash.com/photos/zGWiua9cCIc

When you're sick, you feel terrible and probably don't want to do absolutely anything! But, aside from sleeping, you have to keep your body full on liquids. That means water, Emergen-C, Gatorade, or even a hot cup of tea works great! Rotate these drink options around so you don't get bored. Water is obviously the best thing you can drink but Emergen-C is packed full of vitamin C, Gatorade is full of electrolytes, and tea helps with a sore throat!

4. Change your sheets every few days.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv9fJJPlSwx/

I know this one may not be a no-brainer, but if you're sick and you keep sleeping on the same sheets, you won't get better! Think about it. If you have a bad cough and you keep coughing all over that pillow and breathing your sick breath onto the sheets, it's just gonna stay there. So, every few days, wash your sheets and re-do your bed. If you have a backup pair of sheets, this is even better! You are slowly getting better and your bed isn't keeping you any sicker than you need to be.

5. Go to the doctor!

https://unsplash.com/photos/nMyM7fxpokE

If you tiny "sick kit" just isn't doing the job for your sickness, go to the doctor. I'm someone who won't go to the doctor unless I'm literally dying or my arm is cut off, so I know the struggle of just going to see the doctor. But, if Tylenol and cough drops aren't making you feel any better, you have something bigger than the common cold. If your school has an on-campus clinic, go there! It's probably cheaper and they see college students all day. I'm sure it's just something going around. If your problems are severe, head to the Emergency Room or your trusted doctor. They will help you feel better and take care of the bigger picture.

Feeling bad in college is never fun. You basically have to put a pause on your life, from social activities to classes to work, you feel like you are being held down to your bed. But, sometimes you have to stop with the fast-paced life that you live, and just take time to rest. Your health should be a #1 priority in college, especially since you can't always just have your mom bring you chicken soup in bed! Be proactive and make sure you're prepared if you do get that surprise case of the shakes!