Millennials Pretty Woman

5 Reasons Every Millennial Can Relate To 'Pretty Woman'

This romantic comedy is older than most of us, but is still so relatable and is currently living its best life on Broadway.

216
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EBAVoN8L_U

Ah, "Pretty Woman"- a film released in Spring 1990, almost a year before I was born and definitely before a lot of the younger millennial generation was born. Somehow, the most interesting date part about it is the fact that I watched it for the first time on a cable network (I mean really, who has cable anymore?)

Okay, and maybe the fact that Julia Roberts' character couldn't tweet about the horrible service she received in that one store on Rodeo Drive. Ever since I saw it for the first time two years ago, it has been my favorite movie because of how relatable the story is. Here are 5 reasons why anyone in a generation of Instagram and uncertainty can relate to this RomCom classic.

1. Swiping right on commitment issues.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/pretty-womans-alternative-ending-would-9970232

The leading male character, Edward Lewis (Richard Gere), is emotionally unavailable and afraid of commitment. It doesn't take long on any dating platform to see that a lot of people are this way. It was easy for me to put myself in the shoes of Vivian Ward (Julia Roberts) when I was searching for a diamond in the rough on every dating app out there. No one seemed to care about being invested in something real and lasting. At times, dating apps can even feel like the virtual equivalent of prostitution. A slight update to Vivian walking the streets at night, but nonetheless I wanted the fairytale and I wasn't ready to settle for anything else.

2. Everyday I'm hustlin'.

http://moviemezzanine.com/pretty-woman-25th-anniversary-essay/

The opportunity to capitalize on some extra money in any way possible is especially appealing, so I thought Vivian was a hustling genius when she charged Edward for directions to his destination because he was lost. When he confronts her about it, her response is everything. "I can do anything I want to, baby; I ain't lost." The only thing that was absolutely not hustler babe status is the amount they agree on for her to spend the week with him. I think she went way too low on her offer and she even says at one point when he asks how much, "You couldn't afford it." Honey, he was driving a Lotus and you are in a penthouse suite in Beverly Hills. Of course he can afford what you're asking! Get that money!

3. Practically petty in every way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSWpPkg3K5Q

Blame it on meme culture for hyping it up, but I adore seeing people do petty things. While I've never had to do anything similar, seeing Vivian be a petty queen and walk back into the store that wouldn't help her to brag about where else she spent her money was so satisfying. I also could not stop silently cheering when Edward hurt her feelings at the polo match and she was going to leave their agreement early. She demanded her money before she left, but as she walked out, left it all on the bed to prove a point. The look on his face as he realized it wasn't about the money and never would be right before he chased her down gives me life.

4. The job market crushes dreams. 

https://www.cnn.com/2015/03/21/entertainment/pretty-woman-movie-anniversary-feat/index.html

A big struggle for me (and many others) is coming to terms with where I'm at in my life right now. I don't feel that I have a job to be proud of and it's not what I ever saw for myself. I feel that a lot of people in my generation relate and it can be especially isolating when you don't feel like you have the support of family or friends. Maybe you have a tendency to compare yourself to others, but no one's around to make you see the value you bring to the world. The most stand out conversation to me in "Pretty Woman" is when they are in bed together and Vivian tells Edward how she began as a prostitute and reveals how hard it has been for her. When Edward tells her she could be so much more, it absolutely hit me in the feels. It's so nice to hear someone support you and see your future potential rather than only seeing what you are.

5. Equality ever after. 

http://wp.bridgewater.edu/kkazmar/2015/11/30/pretty-woman-1990/

The film revolves around two unhappy, struggling people who each have their own problems. Edward is emotionally unavailable and Vivian is emotionally scarred from a relationship gone sour with the ex she moved to California for. The best part of the story is how these two come together. Vivian says she wants the fairytale, but when she describes what that looks like, it is first mentioned as a knight on a white horse coming to rescue her.

By the end, when Edward does make the move to rescue her in her tower (read: awful apartment), he asks what happens next. Vivian says "She rescues him right back." This line is prolific for this generation that values equality and is trying to move past the antiquated idea of what a fairytale is. Both of them needed rescuing in their own way and them being able to do that for each other is what makes a unique happy ending in Hollywood. You are truly wise beyond your years, "Pretty Woman."

"Pretty Woman's" popularity is still prevalent and as a matter of fact is in a revival. Last year, the Pretty Woman musical debuted in Chicago. My other favorite thing in the world is live theater and musicals, so I made the trip to see it in its preview stages. All my beloved classic moments from the film were right in front of my eyes with a great wardrobe and set. While I didn't love all of the original music, I was absolutely thrilled to see my favorite movie come to life. It is currently on Broadway in NYC and if you love this movie and relate to anything in this list, I recommend going to see it if you can.

"Take care of you."