The Pressures Of Deciding Your Major-- And Why Not To

You really don't need to know right now.

10
Undeclared Comics

The big question in the lives of most adolescents facing college revolves something around the idea of knowing exactly what you want to do for the rest of your life. Although you may be told by guidance counselors, teachers, and more that you have plenty of time to consider the matter, there always seems to be some degree of unspoken pressure... You have to know your major RIGHT NOW.

But you should listen when people tell you that you don't have to decide.

About 80% of students in the United States end up changing their major at least once, according to the National Center for Educational Statistics. In fact, college students change their major three times on average. I personally believe that this, on some level, is correlated to this pressure we face of entering college knowing what we intend to do for the rest of our adult lives. By being thrust into higher education surrounded by others who seem to know what they're doing, we think that we also must know at that point in time, and end up making a decision you have second thoughts about later down the road.

But since these changes in majors are so common, don't believe your classmates when they insist they are certain about a particular career. They, statistically speaking, will probably end up changing it later.

I faced an identity crisis just one week into my college career, quickly realizing that my chosen area of study isn't what I thought it was going to be. I quickly switched to become undeclared. Now, I am taking mainly general education courses and exploring my different interests. If you're experiencing this dilemma as well, know that you are in a good spot. This is what college was intended for-- to explore. The important thing to remember is that you absolutely do not need to make a final decision immediately.

Rather than rushing into college with a determined career choice like so many of us do, take some time to consider your interests. Take classes in subjects that interest you. It is more than likely that this could lead you to a field of study, and a major, that makes you content. This way, you are making an experienced and informed decision about your future, and are more likely to enjoy the end product: your career.

This, of course, does not apply to everyone. Some people really do enter college knowing exactly what they want to do, and they're right! Don't feel swayed by their certainty, because it is more than common to not be in that situation.

For those that are already declared, don't be afraid of those second thoughts. I am almost halfway through my first semester at college and I have already met so many people who are rethinking their initial decision. If you find yourself questioning whether this is actually what you want to do, sit down with yourself and really consider the matter. Be mindful of your opinion on your classes and major. If you really don't think it's for you, don't be afraid to make a change. Again, a majority of college students do.

Even though we are constantly surrounded by the overwhelming decision of choosing a major, it is crucial to see past all the pressure and tension and remember that you absolutely have time. Take that time to explore your passions. You'll still be able to graduate.