President Trump Signs His First Veto.

President Trump Signed His First Veto Of His Presidency Over The Border Wall

Inside the border wall debate.

79

The border wall has been a troubling topic over the last couple of months. This wall has caused the longest government shutdown in the history of the United States. On the afternoon of March 14th, Democrats and Republicans shut down Trump's national emergency declaration, for a wall. A 59-41 defeat was a big blow for the President, but he isn't giving up.

On Friday, March 15th there was a ceremony to be held at the Oval office. This ceremony honored mothers whose children were killed by illegal immigrants. When in the Rose Garden, President Trump announced that this national emergency occurs at the southern border. The guests were ushered to the Oval Office to see him officially reject what Congress tried to revoke. After signing it, according to the Daily Mail, he said, "Congress has the freedom to pass this resolution and I have the duty to veto it. And I'm very proud to veto it."

President Trump strongly believes that if the wall is built, drugs and criminals would be at an all-time low. He is convinced that all evils come from Mexico. According to Daily Mail, Attorney General William Barr said, building a wall "from the standpoint of protecting the American people, it is imperative." President Trump says that he is starting to build a more solid wall where there were already borders. He claims to be arresting many gang members, including MS-13 members.

Though members of his own party went on the opposition side, there were 12 who voted for this national emergency. Some members who voted against it are Senator Rubio (Florida), Senator Mitt Romney (Utah), Senator Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), and nine other Senators. In order to overturn the veto, there will have to be a two-thirds majority vote, meaning six more Republicans will have to be in favor of it. Congress is in a week-long rest until March 26th where they will all return.