Post-Show Recovery

Post-Show Recovery

How to handle the ending of a production.

13
Post-Show Recovery

I recently acted and helped build Always a Bridesmaid at my university. I'm a theatre major on a design track, so it was interesting and different to be onstage again after working backstage for so many productions. Though I usually work backstage, I think I absolutely essential for anyone in theatre to do all they can with anything they can so they can empathize with cast and crew experiences.

So, I played Monette Gentry. It was an exciting and challenging role for me. For example, I usually dress fairly modestly simply because I don't like having boobs, but Monette loves to show off her boobs. My double D’s had more exposure than they've ever had in that show.

Also, I wore stilettos which was another huge challenge for this introverted, lesbian theatre technician.

I had a great time, but I'm definitely still recovering from the production. Here are some ways I've discovered has helped.

1) Get some rest

When you're doing anything in a show, you don't really get to get a full night's rest. Take a night to rest up.

2) Unpack

Unpack your stage makeup kit and your show bag, and likely your car. You don't need to live out of these things anymore and you finally get your own space back. Doing theatre is a lot of sharing and on-the-go living, which is so fun, but also it's nice to unpack and readjust.

3) Organize

Unpacking and organizing is two different stories entirely. Put your space back how you like it. I'm still organizing the stuff I've unpacked from the show, but also I'm still catching up on sleep...

4) Catch up

Some aspects of your life had to be put on hold during a show. Catch up with your school work or check your emails. This is a pretty daunting step.

5) Plan your meals

Now that you have time to cook and prepare, go for it. Your body will appreciate the break from fast food.

6) Look for the next opportunity

This is what we do. We do a show, recover, and then go into the next one.

Everyone has different experiences with being in or involved in a production. Do what you need to and keep on doing what you love. It doesn't stop here.