Social Media is Doing It Wrong

Social media is doing it wrong. For the most part.

All this craziness––every single aspect of this dizzy world is so confusing. Typically, an escape from reality is social media (sometimes it is the other way around).

One thing is for sure, though: the condemning and reprimanding of our fellow followers needs to end. It is not what our world needs right now.

While many posts and stories on social media actually support the Black Lives Matter movement, providing resources and political action statements, there are many negative posts that transform the main meaning of the current situation.

The reason I boldly state this is due to the fact that social media has no true insight into what people are doing in their everyday lives, their true selves. Many posts claim that "silence is violence," clearly slighting those who have not yet posted on their socials as if they are doing something terribly wrong. In reality though, no one knows the action that those people may be taking on their own time, and are simply not broadcasting it.

Many people are also posting stories about the fact that they are donating, almost trying to prove they are not racist. The problem is, a post on Instagram means nothing. What is in your heart and your actions provide a far better example.

Thus, the posts and stories that focus in on the failures to be social media-active are more harmful than helpful. We need to lift each other up, spread love, and support in moments like these.