Popping The Christian Bubble At Texas A&M

Popping The Christian Bubble

Debunking the myths of the Christian Bubble.

375
Popping The Christian Bubble
Hannah Spurr

We all know those people. The Christians you see flooding your timeline from summer camp, or from edgy coffee shops, always dressed in Chacos and flannels. Here at Texas A&M, we refer to them as the 'Christian Bubble' or the 'CB', which is how I will refer to them here. Typically, they're the most judgmental, rude, and non-Christian people you'll ever meet. They always deny they're in the CB, saying, 'I'm different!', but they aren't. Here are some ways to identify the CB, and how to change the ways of the CB to model the ways of Christ.

Everything Is Always Okay!

This, to me, is by far the most annoying trait of the CB. Every Instagram post is tailored to their 'fantastic God-fearing life' and how amazingly perfect each and every day is. Spoiler alert: life is tough. We often take for granted the good days, and try to cover the bad ones. It's human nature. However, the CB lives as if they have no issues. No problems. Life just doesn't work that way. Every single person on the planet deals with one thing or another. For me personally, a lot of my issues manifest in stress-induced anxiety. For others, it's depression, or obsession, or eating disorders. The CB tries to portray a life where they do no wrong and are made perfect. Guess what? No one is perfect. Stop trying to act as if you are. It's our imperfections that create our beauty, not our perfections.

When we're transparent about our struggles in faith, it shows those around us that they aren't alone. Every person struggles in their faith. Even Moses. Even David, a man after God's own heart. David killed Bathsheba's husband Uriah, and slept with her out of wedlock, and yet he still danced before the Lord with all his might. How I long to be remembered as a woman after God's own heart. That's our sole purpose here. Not to impress others with the status of our lives. Not to make the most money. But to completely and utterly run towards Him with all our might. Let that be the version of you the world sees. The imperfect, beautifully broken, dirty sinner, who is forgiven and redeemed through their constant mission to seek God's own heart.

Something that has always stuck out to me is that there is no book of the Bible titled 'David'. Sure, you can read the book of Daniel, Matthew, Isaiah, John, Peter, Jeremiah, even Ruth, but the book of David is no where to be found. His story is woven through multiple books of the Bible, and he even authored a few (like Psalms). David's purpose was not to be glorified in his works but to glorify God with all he had. And sure, even David failed. David failed miserably. We all do. But instead of hiding his failures, he is transparent and tells of his mistakes.

"In the morning it happened that David wrote a letter to Joab and sent it by the hand of Uriah.And he wrote in the letter, saying, "Set Uriah in the forefront of the hottest battle, and retreat from him, that he may be struck down and die." So it was, while Joab besieged the city, that he assigned Uriah to a place where he knew there were valiant men. Then the men of the city came out and fought with Joab. And some of the people of the servants of David fell; and Uriah the Hittite died also..... When the wife of Uriah heard that Uriah her husband was dead, she mourned for her husband.And when her mourning was over, David sent and brought her to his house, and she became his wife and bore him a son. But the thing that David had done displeased the Lord." 2 Samuel 11:14-16...26-27

David did wrong, and David had struggles. Instead of pretending to be perfect, he humbled himself and was vulnerable and transparent to show those around him that with faith, we are redeemed. Don't feel like everything always has to be okay.

Sorry We Don't Approve

As a person of faith, this year I wanted to make some more Christian friends. I felt like I was out of the loop, and out of touch since most of my friends don't believe in Jesus. So I applied to become an Impact counselor. I was extended an interview and scheduled myself for a time slot. I showed up to the office a week later, which was a crowded room full of plain looking, Chaco wearing people. I had come in dressed from work, in a blue top and white linen pants. I had on a full face of makeup and was the only person in the room who seemed to have a drop on. The only thing in the room other than people were Life Saver Mints, so I grabbed one and sat down. The person across from me ended up being a good friend of mine, and we spent 20 minutes talking about life, catching up. After he left for his interview, I began to start a conversation with the girl across from me. Her name was Jennifer, and she was involved in a Christian sorority on campus. She was surprised I had never heard of 'Rainbow Kitten Surprise' and told me I should listen to their music. I was then interrupted that it was time for my interview.

My interview went well, I was able to accurately and truthfully answer all the questions they asked of me. The interviewers seemed disinterested, and took a small number of notes, quickly ushering me out at the end. A few days later, I received an email that I was not selected as a counselor. These were the exact words they emailed me to tell me I was not the one for Impact:

"Thank you so much for applying to be an Impact counselor. We appreciate your desire to be a part of this ministry and have been blessed to hear your heart for this position. After much prayer and consideration, you were not selected for the position of Impact counselor. We fully trust the Lord's providence and sovereignty for your life, knowing He will use you powerfully. You are extremely valuable in the body of Christ and we believe God desires to use you this year for His glory and your joy. Again, we are so grateful for your desire to serve the Lord and we pray that you will continue to seek His will for your life."

Slap. Slap in the face. That's how it came across. I was valuable to God, but not to Impact.

Later that week I met up with my friend I had seen in the office, and he had been chosen for Impact. When I had told him I didn't get it, he replied, "I could have told you that, you don't have the Christian look".

I had never heard such a statement in my life. I didn't realize I had to look a specific way to be a Christian. I didn't realize that wearing makeup, and dressing in business casual was anti-Christian.

The Bible tells us that the way to salvation has nothing to do with the way we look on the exterior, but rather how we look on the inside.

Romans 10:11-13 says, "For the Scripture says, 'Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame'. For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. For 'whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."

So instead of being judgmental to how another person looks on the exterior, look at their heart instead. If they are following the ways of the Lord with their heart, then nothing else should matter.

You (Can't) Sit With Us!

Every time I have tried to make friends in the CB, I've been shaken off, or let down easy. It's common for them to stick together, with no room for anyone else.

If you've ever been to Breakaway, a large Christian ministry here in College Station, they proudly boast, "You can sit with us!" as an incentive for people to feel welcome. However, you know if you attend Breakaway, and attempt to interact with a Breakaway volunteer, you're going to get a fake, one-sided conversation.

I experienced this first hand, as I was in the Breakaway offices for something, and met two individuals. The girl, named Emily, and the boy, named Everest, and I exchanged conversation for at least 20 minutes, them encouraging me in my faith. The next day, I saw Everest on campus bannering for Breakaway, and went up to greet him. Coldly, he remarked he didn't know who I was, so I awkwardly walked away. Later that same day, I attended Breakaway with a friend of mine and saw Emily at a table in the distance. I walked over and spoke with her for a good ten minutes, after reminding her of who I was. At the end of our conversation, she handed me her phone number and asked to meet up for coffee. I texted her later that week to meet up. She never responded.

I know that I can sometimes we can forget the people we meet. I understand we often forget those we just pass by. However, Christian faith lays a foundation on relationships throughout the entirety of the Bible. Not only is your relationship with God important, but your relationship with the people around you is extremely important as well.

This reminds me of the story of Zacchaeus, which happens to be one of my favorite stories in the Bible. Zacchaeus was a tax collector and is described to be quite short. He wanted to see Jesus, so he climbed into a sycamore tree to be seen by Jesus. When Jesus passed by, He saw Zacchaeus, saying to him:

"Zacchaeus, make haste and come down, for today I must stay at your house." Luke 19:5

Although Zacchaeus was a tax collector, Jesus still saw him in the tree and made an effort to create a relationship with him. We are called to do the same, to seek out and befriend those around us.

Plastic Hearts Melt

The last thing I want to touch on is the most important point I'd like to make, and I'm going to do my best to put it delicately because it's a touchy subject: love. As Christians, we're called to love unconditionally. No matter what. It's the hardest thing we're asked to do. It's hard to love the people that have hurt you, screwed you over, trampled on you. But it's the mission of our faith. We're so eager to spend thousands of dollars to cross seas to spend a short week or two to preach our faith, and then we act like that week is going to make a huge difference. The real mission is here, right here in your town. You don't have to jump on a plane to change lives. If you can't love the people who are right in front of you, then why are you trying to go to Africa to show someone else love? We have to learn to love the people who are right here, who are begging for it.

I have met so many people in my two years at A&M, and I can't tell you how many people are genuinely lonely, who truly believe no one cares about them. How horribly sad is that? Why haven't we come alongside them, and shown them the love that is shown every day to us? How hard is it to truly love someone?

I have known many people in the CB to say they love someone, and turn around and deny it. It's a human notion, even Peter denied knowing Jesus. However, we have to show unconditional love. Our faith would be easy if we got to pick and choose the people we love. Faith isn't supposed to be easy, it's supposed to be hard. Faith calls us to love the people who have stuck knives in our spine, slapped us in the face, and even the people we just plain and simple don't like. I'm the first to admit, this is hard stuff y'all. It's so hard to love unconditionally. But, every day, I put on my 3 wristbands that say 'H.W.L.F." meaning He Would Love First, to remind me to love, no matter what.

Jesus tells a story in Matthew about going the second mile and loving your enemy. He talks about this concept of giving everything we have to those around us, no matter who they are, or what they've done to us.

You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also.And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two.Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away. You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect." Matthew 5:38-48

Just like Jesus did, take the time to love the people around you. A fleshy, bloody, beating heart is much better than a plastic model.

So as you go through life, take a moment to step back and evaluate. I have to do this every day, multiple times a day. I have to constantly ask myself, what am I called to do? Am I being loving, or am I being judgmental? Am I being Christlike? And even still, I fail. Just like David, I am not perfect. But I promise you this, I'm gonna try my hardest to be a woman after God's own heart, no matter what it takes.

If you take anything away from all of this, remember this: Love Unconditionally. The rest will come with time.

Always,

HMS