10 Pop-Punk Bands To Keep Your Eye On

10 Pop-Punk Bands To Keep Your Eye On

Bands on bands on bands.

388
10 Pop-Punk Bands To Keep Your Eye On
Alex Leff

Music has become really important to me over the last two years. I've gone to more concerts and discovered more bands than I could imagine. I tend to bounce around when it comes to music genres. I never stay long in a genre, but the one kind of music I always seem to find my way back to is pop punk/alternative. Ever since I rejoined the world of All Time Low, Panic! at The Disco and Sum 41, I've been discovering more and more smaller bands that I have fallen in love with almost everyday. These artists may not be too popular (yet) but are definitely worth keeping an eye on.

1. Sleep On It

"Like a softer A Day To Remember. " - Jared DeJesus

Sleep On It is a band hailing from Chicago, Illinois. The band formed in 2012 and currently consists of members: Zech Pluister (Lead Vocals), TJ Horansky (Lead Guitar), Jake Marquis (Rhythm Guitar), AJ Khah (Bass) and Luka Fischman (Drummer).

The band is making their way into the pop-punk scene. Their lyrics are filled with passion, emotion and soul. You can definitely tell they mean everything they sing about. While the overall sound is more alternative than pop punk.

I first heard of Sleep On It when they opened for Waterparks on the Made in America Tour in 2017. Since then, I've been hooked. They recently played on the Owly FM.App stage on the final run of Vana Warped Tour and will be on the road again this fall with Broadside, With Confidence and Small Talks.

Recommended Songs: "Fireworks*, 'A New Way Home*', 'See You Around', 'Photobooth' -"Overexposed", 'Counting Miles*', 'Unspoken'- "Lost Along The Way", 'Disconnected'-"Disconnected Single*"

2. Seaway 

Seaway on Sum 41’s The Does This Look Infected 15th Annaversary Tour

Alex Leff

Seaway is a pop-punk/rock band coming from Oakville, Ontario. Formed in 2011, the members are Adam Shoji, Andrew Eichinger, Patrick Carleton, Ryan Locke, and Ken Taylor.

They have toured with so many incredible bands including Neck Deep, Blink-182, Sum 41 and State Champs. Seaway has also had success with headlining shows in Canada. What I love the most about Seaway besides the lyrics are the guitars. I don't know what it is, but the riffs of the guitars bring a smile to my face. You are definitely able to listen to dance and listen to these songs on end.

Recommended Songs: "Scatter My Ashes Along The Coast Or Don't", "Lula On The Beach", "Something Wonderful*" -Vacation, "Slam*", "Best Mistake*", "Freak*", "Airhead*" -Colour Blind

3. Call It Off

In 2013, Dutch band Call It Off rose to the scene. Located in Eindhoven, Netherlands, the members are Maurice Bolier, Adrian DeLange, Lesley, Klavenijk and Sergei Christian.

Call It Off is a band most people would be surprised I enjoy listening to. It's loud, hardcore, scream-singing and just overall something I don't normally like when it comes to music. There's something about them that pulled me in. To me, Call It Off mostly reminds me of old school emo pop-punk like Green Day, however some of their music sounds like it was influenced by Capstan and if All Time Low was on steroids.

Recommended Songs: "Abandoned", "Death or Glory", "We Will Be Better Tomorrow*", "Witness" "Scream Your Heart Out" -Abandoned, "Do It All Again" -Lovers & Liars, "Young" - Young -Single

4. Mainland 

In 2011, Brooklyn boys: Jordan Topf (Vocals), Corey Mullee (Guitar/Synth), and Alex Pitta (Bass) formed the band Mainland.

While Mainland is a rock band, most of their songs use keyboards and synthesizers to add an indie flair. While other bands can be indie, Mainland adds extra elements from synthesizers, keyboards, and Topf's unique voice makes the whole package complete. The Mainland trio can create a multitude of sounds, and I can honestly say I wish I could stop and rewind time so I could find this band sooner. From songs of love to the start of new adventures, this is one band you don't want to miss out on.

Recommend Songs: "Outcast" -Outcast EP, "Hometown*", "Rituals" -Villans -EP, "Permission Slip*" -Permission Slip Single, "Empty Promises*"- Empty Promises Single

5. Offended By Everything 

Dallas pop-punk band members Jarrett Adlof (Guitar), Jason Williams (Bassist), Josh Nath (Guitar) and Zak Howe (Vocals) are Offended By Everything (OBE).

Offended By Everything might be one of my favorite finds. They have everything I could ask for: emotion, heart and pop punk. The relatable-ness of 'Let Go' to the seriousness of 'Easterlin' and 'Golden Years.*'

When listening to songs such as 'Easterlin' and 'Golden Years', I can almost feel the pain and makes me wonder how hard it was to write. There is a monologue in 'The Golden Years' that's about having someone support you and give you self-confidence. While I can't personally relate, this speech always touches me and makes me think of my friends who have always been there for me and supported me. What hits me the most is the last three words in the song: "I am free." and with that, I do feel free.

Recommended Songs: 'Best Intentions (feat. Seth Davis)' -"Best Intentions Single", 'What's So Great About Hollywood?*', 'Golden Years*', '22', 'Let Go*'- "Never Too Late To Start Again"

6. Shorelines

Shorelines is a new up and coming pop punk band from Brisbane, Australia. Members include Dylan Thompson, Harry White, Shaman Grayson, and Sean Fisher.

Shorelines is another band that I came across. Whether it's covering a song or original material, I am always blown away by this band. What differentiates them from others pop-punk bands is their vocalists. Instead of having a single lead vocalist and one or two back up vocalists, they have two lead vocalists. Both Harry White and Dylan Thompson switch off as lead vocals in a song and the transition isn't so smooth. I'm never sure when it happens.

Recommended Songs: "New Heightsisn't "Let Us Go" -New Heights EP, "Lies", "Worry About Yourself" - "Blank Pages and Broken Records" EP

7. Marina City

Marina City is a band formed in the Windy City. Members include Ryan Argast (Lead Vocals), Brian Johnson (Vocals/Guitar), Matt Gaudiano (Vocals/Keys), Eric Somers-Urrea (Drums), Aaron Heiy (Bass) and Todor Birindjiev (Lead Guitar).

What makes Marina City stand out from other pop-punk bands is the way they mix different musical genres together. Some songs are straight up rocking while others have more of an indie and soulful sound. Songs like "The Haunting" have an old school rock and roll sound, while "Thieves" has more of a smooth indie vibe. It sounds like if you mixed "Billie Jean" and "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" together and while that probably isn't the most accurate description, that's the first thing that popped into my head when I first listened to it.

Recommended Songs: "Man in the Mirror*", "Better Weather", "Dreamers Never Die" -Terminal EP

8. Milestones 

British pop-punk band Milestones is from Manchester, England and formed in 2014. The members are Matt Clarke(Vocals), Andrew Procter (Guitarist and Vocals), Mark Threlfall (Bass), and Eden Leviston (Guitarist).

Milestones have a variety of different sounds. While they are a mostly pop-punk band, the mix of melodies, guitars, drums and vocal range is making this massive waves in the alternative/pop-punk scene. From marathon writing sessions (sometimes lasting up to 15 hours) to touring with big names like Mayday Parade, Simple Plan and Hawthorne Heights, Milestones is on the road (literally) to success.

Recommended Songs: "Once Upon A Time*", "Against The World", "Liar", "End Game*", "Bittersweet", "Eighteen*", "This Is My Life" -Red Lights

9. Assuming We Survive

Assuming We Survive is a pop-punk band from Inland Empire, California. The members are Adrian Estrella (Vocals), Phil Adams (Guitar), Brandon Stewart (Bass) and Kris Pasos (Drums). This band is a mix of energetic, heart-stopping and melodic tones in their songs making listeners want to jump up and down jamming out to the beat.

While I'm not usually a fan of hardcore pop punk, I couldn't help but enjoy their set at Vans Warped Tour. I honestly wasn't sure what to expect from them. Even with the scream, I find myself wanting to listen to more. I thought they would be considered more hardcore progressive post-pop-punkish, they're actually really similar to most of what I am currently listening to. I definitely recommend this band for both pop-punk and hardcore post pop punk fans.

Recommended songs: "Better Without You*" -Better Without You -Single, "Just So You Know"- Just So You Know -Single, "Next To Me", "No Fairy Tale", "This Moment*"- All Roads Lead Home

10. Not Ur Girlfenz

Not Ur Girlfrenz is redefining women in pop punk. The members, Liv Haynes (Vocals and Guitar), Gigi Haynes (Bass) and Maren Alford (Drums) are making big sounds. Not only has the band had their music featured in a commercial with fellow Texas celebrity Matthew McConaughey, but have also caught the attention of Bowling For Soup's Jaret Reddick. In addition to having Reddick as a mentor, the girls have joined Bowling For Soup on tour and have played sold out shows along the way.

The Dallas trio was the youngest band to ever are straight up rocking during the 24 years of Vans Warped Tour and played at some out-of-state Warped Tour dates on the final run. They are speaking out and taking pop-punk back. Definitely keep your eye on these girls as they continue to make their way into the pop-punk scene.

Recommended Songs: "Never Stop*"-Never Stop -Single, "Friday I'm in Love*"-Friday I'm in Love -Single, "I Will Follow*" - I Will Follow -Single

* indicates the writer's personal favorite songs.