In Defense Of Pop Music

In Defense Of Pop Music

Taylor Swift forever!

69
In Defense Of Pop Music
Apple Thumbs

I have never been a huge music person. I listen to it on the radio while I’m in the car, or on my phone when I’m getting ready in the morning, or whenever I feel like it’s just too quiet. I am not one of those people who takes music seriously or follows it religiously. The music I listen to the most often, is pop music. I like Taylor Swift and Maroon 5, I can croon along with Adele, and I even, begrudgingly, like Justin Bieber’s new music.

Unfortunately, though, pop music is seen as the lowest form of music culture. Any person who calls themselves a music lover would turn their nose up at my love for One Direction. When I tell people I like pop music, it’s as if I listed People magazine when asked what I like to read. It is the trashy magazine and reality TV of the music world. Pop music has gotten such a low reputation because it is judged by the artists that produce it. Miley Cyrus is trashy so her music must be, too. What everyone is forgetting, though, is that pop music is great. It's great because you are able to take it as seriously as you want to.

It’s good music to have on in the background and sing along to. You don’t have to listen to the words or give them any value, but if you do decide to pay attention to the lyrics they are often very relatable. Everyone goes through love and heartache, everyone has dreams of making it big and getting rich, and everyone needs to be told to ditch that person because you can do better. So what does it matter if those messages are coming from Katy Perry or some indie artist no one has ever heard of. Pop music is meant for the masses. It is for those of us who like a little bit of everything, from ballads to dance music, rap and even a bit of techno.

The music snobs of the world talk about how today's music has gone so down hill. They talk and act as if they alone know what good music is. What these people often forget, though, is that so much of the music that we view today as iconic and timeless was at the time considered pop music. The music my parents used to listen to -- Journey, Queen, Whitney Houston, Madonna, music that is considered hipster to listen to now -- was pop music at the time. The Beatles, as great as they were, were still just a boy band.