Everyone has their own opinions about Bernie Sanders. Some people think of him as a man who is always talking about far-fetched concepts such as, free medical care for all - or making higher education free. While others think of his progressive ways as a moral necessity for this day and age.

Otherwise, put for some, he is a radical looking to make America a socialist nation and for others, he is looking out for the best interest of many.

Putting aside my own considerations, and everyone else's' as well: his candidacy for president in 2014 engaged more young people to participate and speak up about politics, than ever before.

I was one of those young people, 18 to be exact, who showed up everywhere he went just to listen. At the time, I did not know if I agreed with his tax plans; I had never experienced how taxes affect a person's livelihood. Yet, he spoke about problems I too had noticed.

Even after the election was over, I was still engaged.

I started talking about political issues with family, friends, and even random people on the street; I started paying attention to the political views of the people around me; and, most important, I started having a strong urge to learn about how the political climate in America has been composed.

Bernie Sanders made me start caring about the way the political condition of a nation may affect the individuals living within it. And I know he did this very same thing for many other millennial.

This is extremely important; not enough people engage in the political condition of our country.

We live in a democratic nation that will not work to effectively serve the people if the people are not involved in it. That means if you have a problem with the way things are, and a care about changing them, you should consider public office.

Think about Rashida Tlaib or Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. These two women have recently been elected to Congress. Rashida Talib is a Palestinian woman (the first to ever join congress) who genuinely cares about representing the people of Detroit. Whereas, Alexandria Cortez is only 28 years old starting her career as a progressive.

The laws, and political condition of the country you live in controls the life you live. For example, the laws of a nation can control a woman's right to having an abortion or other contraceptives. A political regime may control the substances you have access to, your water supply, the quality of your food, and etc.

A political regime may control the clothes you can and cannot wear, how you may act, and where you may go.

We are lucky here in America; despite what you may think, we are privileged to live in a nation that at least theoretically does not conspire against its people. Not to mention, if you are a citizen of this country, you have the right to travel almost the entire globe.

Things are good - but that is not to say that good things, can't be a lot better.

If you care about change: congressional members, city councils, voters, EVERYTHING matters. Get involved in more than just the presidential election - it is only one piece of the puzzle.

Maybe even consider running for office yourself; but if nothing else, take the time to read into who is.