'I Hate Politics, Dad'

'I Hate Politics, Dad'

Indifference is no longer an option!

8
'I Hate Politics, Dad'
Green Head

Each morning my dad and I rush to the car just to sit in the never-moving morning traffic. He reaches over to turn on the news radio, where instead of telling us the traffic report, we listen to them blab about who should, would, or could be, the next president of the United States.

As a high schooler I understand that even though I can't vote yet, I should be knowledgeable and considerate of who will be the next Commander in chief. But when all I hear from either candidate is how bad the other is, it's difficult. Between CNN, FOX, all the other news stations, and the internet, who knows what to believe. The world has become so divided, whether it be over who to vote for, who we love, the color of our skin, or even the uniform we wear, we can't seem to accept anyone or anything.

We can no longer rely on the networks for our information, as they continue to air anything to get the highest ratings. They provide us with biased views on what's happening in the world and we aren't able to make our own assumptions. Especially when we haven't been given all the facts.

Current events give us an opportunity to form opinions, but with all of the talking heads, it's difficult to come up with our own. We've lost our own perception of what it is to be an American and even just a member of the human race.

I have the privilege of living in the United States of America, where we are known as an "indivisible" nation. Instead of focusing on what unites us, the media highlights what separates us and wants us to believe we have nothing in common with our neighbors.

Why should we wait for other people to change the world for us? We can do it ourselves. Our generation shouldn't just accept the fact that we're the "entitled millennials." We're not, we're not going to be. Just because the candidates up on those podiums are both clowns doesn't mean we shouldn't take a pen to that ballot just because we think we're doomed. We have the opportunity to change our fate, let's make use of it, not just by voting, but by fighting the system. Let's call the media out, use our voices to do some good. Instead of trying to get internet famous for flipping a bottle, let's use our social media platform to voice our ideas and change the world.