Don't Let Your Party Affiliation Prevent You From Making Change
Politics

Has the polarization between Republicans and Democrats gotten to a point where pride matters more than a resolution?

92
@realdonaldtrump / Twitter

Gun control... Is this the final pivotal moment?

In light of the recent school shooting in Parkland, Florida, the topic of gun control has resurfaced and people have many takes on how to handle this sensitive and controversial topic. The sudden shift of focus towards guns has given legislators another added topic to their agenda.

Some people have suggested that teachers be equipped with guns so they can better protect students, while others have pushed to create legislation that will make it harder to obtain a firearm.

The latter makes supporters of the second amendment a bit nervous because they believe that it is an infringement on their basic rights that the founding fathers had supported. But one can also argue that due to the number of shootings, people have a basic right to feel safe wherever they go and that those "rights" served a different purpose for a different time.

So why exactly can’t people find a middle ground between those two points of view?

I believe that it is due to the deep polarization that has plagued this country. Every issue has become a Republican vs. Democrat debate when in reality, some issues aren’t even political.

Take this election cycle for example. It was very emotional and people took very personally who they were voting for and this emotion prevents people from thinking logically. If you do not agree with a candidate, it should be that simple. It shouldn’t prevent you from at the very least, trying to understand where someone you disagree with is coming from.

But this divide brings forth the question: Has the polarization between Republicans and Democrats gotten to a point where pride matters more than a resolution?

The facts are that there have been many casualties due to mass shootings the US and usually it’s because an unfit person has possession of a firearm. How can that be fixed?

Every time people try to offer a solution or bring forth different points — on both ends — the other side pushes back ferociously and nothing gets solved. It is a constant cycle of who's right and who's wrong as opposed to coming together and trying to tackle the issue at hand.

This stalling and bickering needs to stop, and solutions need to be brought forward. When lives are at stake, people need to come together instead of finding reasons to attack one another.

People need to hear the other side and go in with an open-mind to solutions because when even children are asking the government to be better, they should get better.

This country can do better if the people and government choose to be better and put aside their emotional differences and focus on the issue at hand that affects everyone, regardless of your political affiliation.

And I understand, change is scary. But change is also necessary. Times evolve, people evolve, and so do their needs. That is why legislation can’t constantly be pushed off or at a standstill.

Maybe just maybe when the government takes action, this country can finally move forward and not deal with same issues repeatedly.