What They Don't Tell You About Being A Poli Sci Major

If you're like me, you have literally always loved politics. It became your obsession when you were young, and has only grown the older you got. Some of your earliest memories include fighting with the neighborhood kids about George Bush, and telling your daycare teacher that you thought he was an alcoholic.

Maybe that was just me. Anyway, most of my fellow Political Science majors can't really remember a time when they didn't care. Sure, the 2016 election drove a lot of young people into the world of politics, but for us, this was old hat. But really, what is it like being a Political Science major?

1. Your internet search history? Yeah, that's whack.

A lot of what we talk about is weird. And often, the things we research are distasteful. In order to be active participates in class, as with any major or subject, it requires us to seek out knowledge. So, that's why you find yourself falling down a rabbit hole of reading about the theology of ISIS or learning more about why the families of Sandy Hook are suing Remington.

2. You get asked a lot of dumb questions.

"Why do you care?" "How do you feel about X issue?" "Will Roe v Wade be overturned?" "Trump?"

And my answers

1- Because I have a heart

2-Do you really want to get into this

3- I hope not

4- That man bad

3. Multiple choice exams? Don't know her.

Yeah, sorry to those who wanted this all to be true and false questions, but that just doesn't happen. In this major, your writing skills are almost as important as knowing the content itself. You better learn how to write a good and thoughtful paper. You also should be able to write these papers in less than 50 minutes, because Blue Book Exams will become an ever-present part of your life.

4. Law School?

Everyone assumes that this major is just prep for law school. First of all, ask anyone who knows ANYTHING about law school and you will hear that there is no pre-rec for it, just get good grades. Honestly, while I have met a lot of students who do see law school in their future, some of them do want to just go to grad school and do field work. Just like every other major, this isn't one size fits all.

5. Internships, Internships, Internships

It's all about who you know. The more experience you have, the more wanted you are. That is why, even during your freshmen year, everyone will stress how important it is to make connections, just so you're prepared for that sought-after internship.

6. Debates. Debates everywhere

Yeah, in every class, every club, every friend group. ANYTHING can be debated over, because all we know is how to argue. You can watch a peaceful conversation about the weather turn into a debate on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Also, pro tip: Know what is happening in Israel. It'll just make your life easier.

Really, like any major, Political Science is what you make it. If you love it, you love it. If you hate it.. well maybe you should switch.