Pokemon GO As Seen By A '90s Kid

Pokemon GO As Seen By A '90s Kid

Our time has finally come.

34
Pokemon GO As Seen By A '90s Kid
Nick Statt

As a child of the '90s, I have played my fair share of Pokemon and witnessed first-hand the advances that the technology has been given over so many years. The Nintendo 64 brought us the very first battle of the Pokemon for cups in gyms. The Game Boy introduced us to tall grass and catching our very own Pokemon. The Nintendo DS and Wii brought both worlds together into one amazing gaming experience. Now we have the app, something we can carry around in our pockets and play at any moment. Catching Pokemon has never been more real than it is right now. The camera of the phone puts the creatures into real time and space. Despite all of the complaints and people that seem to not like the game, people can't get enough of it. As a '90s baby, I couldn't be happier. So here are a few of my major thoughts about the game.

1. Where has this been all my life?!

I love Pokemon and I personally can't get enough of this app. I have many other Pokemon games and this, by far, has topped them. Collecting the Pokemon has been such a fun adventure so far and I can't wait to see how far this game can go. I would rather play the app over my other game versions any day.

2. The data

As a person with limited data on my phone, I was so happy to see that it uses so little data to play this game! I have been playing with my data on and off for about three days and haven't even touched a GB of data yet! I also love that Pokestops and Gyms are popular areas that may have Wi-Fi for those of us with limited data.

3. The battery killer extreme

So far this is my only complaint about the game. If you plan to venture far from home, don't forget to bring along a portable charger or another battery, because you will need it. Even having a fully charged phone won't last long. Even in battery saver mode in the game, you are blowing through battery life like crazy!

4. You actually need to get out

The thing I love about this game is that you NEED to go outside to play it. You can't play it very well stationary. It forces you to go outside and walk or run. I love that aspect of it. I have a Fitbit and I use it to help keep track of my miles for hatching eggs! I am always looking for a reason to go for a walk and now "catching 'em all" is my reason. A nice beach walk has now turned into who can catch the most water Pokemon before it gets too dark.

5. Pokestops and Lures

So at first I wasn't sure how this was all going to work, but I am so happy with the results! People are coming together to help each other collect more Pokemon and working as a team to battle at gyms. People are even getting together to go on Pokemon hunting walks around towns all over the world. It is bringing people together.

6. The hate for the game

This is the one thing that I am having a hard time getting over. People are being such jerks to people that are playing the game. If you don't like the game or don't want to play it, don't — but other people do! It is a harmless game, just let people have fun. I understand that people are getting in trouble for being places they shouldn't, but they make that choice as adults. If you have a rare Pokemon in your yard, just let people catch it and they will leave. If you really don't want people in your yard, post up a sign that says so. I am sure the Pokemon will be found in a different area soon.

So far I have only been playing the game for around a week, and I am so pleased with it. I am looking forward to seeing the changes that updates bring and how people like the bracelet tracker add-on. I plan on continuing the game and collecting more Pokemon. I have about 50 right now and I am always on the look out for a new Pokemon. Remember trainers, stay alert and safe while collecting your new Pokemon. Don't drive and fling Pokeballs!