A Poem To My Future Children

A Poem To My Future Children

Why the world we live in may affect the lives of our future children

1134
A Poem To My Future Children
Tumblr

Dear future children we are living in times of peril

We always live in fear, being careful

Things are spiraling downward

Our leader is a coward

His actions reveal how an imbecile should not have power

On top of the fact that he schemes and is a liar

Where do I begin?

I fear the world you will live in

Poison in our food, carbon emission in our air

The wealthy turn a blind eye to our necessities, while the poor live in despair

Racism, police brutality, plots of destruction, and violence

While those who control the government allow this to occur, remaining silent

Fake news, removal from the Paris Climate Agreement, and no overall solution

While millions will die as a result of pollution

Let's not forget the countless violations of our Constitution

My generation was deemed spoiled brats for expressing our opinions

All because we care about the world that we live in

Women have fought for their rights, to have them taken away

Now all that remains is for a man to dictate where we can lay

I do not even want children, but if I do choose to partake in this role this should be my choice

You can take away my contraception, but never my voice

If I have a son may God always protect you when you are walking

I hope you will never become another Trayvon Martin

To my daughter, you are a queen, don't you ever stop dreaming

We have to fight twice as hard to crack the glass ceiling

Being a woman is a preexisting condition

I hope in your world you will not face this affliction

I hope you are healthy and are aware

That based on our status we do not qualify for healthcare

Bees, polar bears, and sharks going extinct

While the signs of global warming are present and all so distinct

I hope you are able to feel the sun warm your skin and you can run away from insects

And when you are ready, still have a choice of when to have sex

In present times, leaders rule with ignorance

As your mother, I insist you be wary of indifference

Become cosmopolitan and accept everyone

Love with an open heart, despite the outcome

I am writing in a time of uncertainty of one day to the next

To my future child, may you not carry these burdens on your shoulders

Love,

your mother.

I wish you the best.