Don't: A Poem On 'Lady Likeness'

Don't: A Poem On 'Lady Likeness'

I will be me
276

Stand up tall

Don’t curse

Don’t cross your arms

Don’t do this and don’t do that

“Being a lady is hard” I think to myself as I cram into stockings I don’t like wearing and a dress that covers me up from head to toe making me feel insecure, like I should hide myself away from the world

“Being a lady is not fun” I think to myself as I plaster on a big smile that was not there before, swallowing my anger with breath mints because everyone has good hygiene and you have to pretend that you didn’t forget to brush your teeth.

“A lady never curses” when I hear this I just think…SH*T I did it again…oops I cursed again. I chuckle and blush like a LADY but then realize just because I am a girl does not mean I am a “lady” I am a woman. A very strong woman of the world and I am not going to let society tell me how I should be.

To all the girls out there that hate hearing the word “ladylike” this one is for you:

Don’t tell me what to do

Don’t tell me what to say

Don’t tell me how to dress

And don’t tell me where to stay

I can curse if I want, I can sound like a sailor if I please

If I want to wear sweatpants out in public with messy hair, fine

If I want to have sleeves of tattoos and piercings all over, fine

But don’t say that is not ‘ladylike’ because I am who I am

I don’t need your approval

I don’t need an invitation

I don’t need your validation

However I act is on my own terms

Whatever I say, is on my own terms

Don’t tell me how to say it or what to say

Because I am only human, I am only me

Just because I am a girl, a lady, a woman doesn’t mean a thing

How would you react if I say “oh you aren’t a gentlemen if you don’t do that” oh that isn’t very “manly”

I don’t judge you, how dare you judge me.

A lady is what I am

A lady is not someone I will ever be

Because instead of listening to the worlds standards

Instead of ordering a salad at a fancy dinner

I will be me

(and order whatever the f*** I want)