La Baule

La Baule

A poem

3
La Baule

On the southern side of Brittany

in the Western part of France

There is an inlet by the sea

where seagulls shout and dance

The shore is long and split in half

Each side has a different mood

On one the waves leap up and laugh

The other invites solitude.

The peacefulness of the first shore

is made by cerulean skies

Sun-warmed sands on which waters pour

Rush like tear drops from dark blue eyes

Sharp winds and angry waves rush forth

Upon the dark savage clifftops

Where the other side looms up north

Too dangerous for wobbling ship docks

These twin shores deceive many boats

Despite the lighthouses' great beams

The golden light carries and floats

And drowns in invisible seams

The Mets And Me

They may be the worst sometimes, but this baseball team has given me more than I could ask for.

143
Rich Schultz/Getty Images

On September 3rd, 2001, a sea of children littered my home's navy-carpeted den to watch baseball during my dad's 40th birthday extravaganza. A baseball game flickered on the TV, and a red and blue bubble of a scoreboard sat in the bottom right corner of the screen. The New York Mets and the Philadelphia Phillies were in a wild game at Veterans' Stadium. As I, a five-year-old boy with a jumble of curly blonde hair, sat in the back of the kid clump, I wondered which team I should root for. After a long debate with myself, I decided that I should root for the team that's winning (duh). But, as the ninth inning rolled around with the Phils maintaining a 7-5 lead, some magic occurred. The Mets put up five runs in one frame, stunning the Phillie fans in the room and winning the game 10-7.