The Original Pledge Of Allegiance Didn't Mention God
Politics

The Original Pledge Of Allegiance Didn't Mention God For More Than Half A Century

The contention that the Pledge of Allegiance should include the phrase "under God" because "that's how it's always been" is actually completely invalid and false. That is NOT the original pledge.

1892

I've recently seen a lot of controversy surrounding our Pledge of Allegiance.

This controversy is due to the phrase "under God" in our pledge as said by millions in schools all throughout the country — some believing the phrase should be taken out to eliminate religion from a national allegiance, while others under the impression it should remain because that's how "it's always been said."

Unfortunately, I see the latter opinion mostly from the conservative right. I don't want to blame them for this perspective, however. I try to always keep an open mind and respect all opinions — Democrat or Republican.

Nevertheless, I have to politely disagree with those that argue "under God" should remain in the Pledge of Allegiance.

I understand people with this perspective don't have bad intentions, but these opinions are rooted in biases from their childhoods. They can't accept change. Because that's how THEY grew up and that's all they've ever known, they refuse to accept anything different. The fact of the matter is, though, they're riddled with ignorance. They're uneducated. And here's why.

The contention that the Pledge of Allegiance should include the phrase "under God" because "that's how it's always been" is actually completely invalid and false.

That is NOT the original pledge.

All this takes is some simple research and reading to understand this. The Pledge of Allegiance was written in 1892 by socialist minister Francis Bellamy. The original form read:

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

In 1923, it was then changed:

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Then, it wasn't until 1954 when the phrase "under God" was added to the 31-word pledge we say today when president Eisenhower responded to Communist threats at that time.

In addition, Thomas Jefferson paraphrased the term "separation of church and state" during the making of the Constitution to which he stated that legislature "should make no law respecting an establishment of religion..." Ultimately, if we are pledging allegiance to the "liberty and justice" for this country, those words should be reflective for all people.

There should be no reflection of religion in anything that has to do with our government or patriotic pride.

I feel like the separation between church and state is becoming especially prominent anymore. Between the pledge, these insane abortion laws, and virtually all the opinions of Republican Senators, we can't seem to come to an understanding of why we need to eradicate religion from politics.

If we're going to cite this pledge as a united nation, the reality is not everyone believes in the same God you do, not everyone has the same Christian beliefs as you do, and not everyone wants to pledge to God as you do.

The pledge should apply to all people in this country.

It should not be a matter of, "Well, if you don't like it, just don't say it!" No, it should be able to be said by everyone, truthfully and wholeheartedly.

Please do your research before you form an opinion that's fueled by utter ignorance and misinformation. Keep an open mind, and learn to educate yourself.