A Creative Boost Through Music

A Creative Boost Through Music

The playlist to increase creativity flow for when you can't think "outside the box".

34
A Creative Boost Through Music
Pexels.com/Burst

Flow, or the total immersion in a task through emotion and level of focus, is one of the biggest contributors to the world of creativity. Flow occurs when you start a project in the morning and soon realize it’s nightfall. When you’re left sitting in a chair thinking, “Where did the time go?” But it’s not always so simple. Even the most ambitious reach a point in their lives where the mind becomes blocked and flow is gone. A setting and atmosphere that once brought inspiration is left to produce nothing but boredom.

Baba O'Riley-The Who

Genre: Classic Rock

In The Shadows-Foreign Air

Genre: Alternative/Indie

High-Sir Sly

Genre: Psychedelic Rock, Indie Pop, Alternative Rock

Break The Fall-Laura Welsh

Genre: Alternative/Indie, Pop

People like to think and think hard when they can’t remember. Ever had that moment when you forgot the name of a song or something you wanted to say? And no matter how hard you tried, the thought just wouldn’t come. Hours later you’re walking through the park or maybe driving home and a-ha there’s the answer. The explanation is a psychological phenomenon known as "Mind-Wandering", or granting the brain a break for it to open up to new memories. Mind-wandering is key to overcoming obstacles such as writer’s block with use of basic senses including the ability to hear.

Ultralife-Oh Wonder

Genre: Alternative/Indie

The Chain-Fleetwood Mac

Genre: Classic Rock

Sweet Nothing-Calvin Harris and Florence Welch

Genre: Dance, Electronic

The Stranger-Billy Joel

Genre: Rock, Pop, Pop Rock, Soft Rock

Coined in 1993, the “Mozart Effect” was a study done by researchers to show the impact of music on human emotions. The results being the way in which different sounds could make one happy, sad, empowered or relaxed within mere minutes. When we listen to music, the limbic areas in the brain awaken euphoric responses experienced such as in food consumption. The limbic system of the brain is primarily made up of the amygdala, hippocampus, thalamus, hypothalamus and the basal ganglia. Where as the amygdala is the emotion center of the brain, the hippocampus alters the formation of new memories and past experiences. The system explains why when listening to a song, you may remember a memory and in turn experience said emotion.

I'll Meet You At Midnight-Smokie (Cover by Sam Kim)

Genre: Rock

Hard Times-Paramore

Genre: Alternative/Indie

Don't Stop Me Now-Queen

Genre: Classic Rock

I Wish I Knew You-The Revivalists

Genre: Alternative/Indie

Music has a significant impact on the flow of creative thought in the mind. It evokes a higher functioning that arouses the brain and inspires new thoughts. From Beethoven to AC/DC, music is ever changing to the human ear and therefore impossible to grow tired of. Exposing yourself to different forms of music is a great way to encourage the brain to think outside of the box and inspire creative thought.

Shake It Out-Florence and The Machine

Genre: Alternative/Indie, Pop

Pines-Roses and Revolutions

Genre: Indie-Pop

Hey Jude-The Beatles

Genre: Rock

Levels-Avicii

Genre: Dance, Electronic

The next time you can't seem to find your flow, ask what kind of music your friends or family like. Step away from the same old screen and listen to something different.